Chapter 3

"Then you know why I am here," Marcus said with a malevolent gleam in his eyes.

"I can guess," I said unaffectedly. I had a sudden daunting insight that Marcus would just be the first of many. I had an eery suspicion that Marcus would be the first of many. Many would come pound at my door either to challenge my hand for my throne or to pay their respects and express their acceptance.

I was not yet sure just what Marcus's attentions were. I went back to my cleaning deciding that he would let me know when he was good and ready.

There was a long somewhat awkward pause before he spoke again," You have no protection."

I merely looked up at him briefly before continuing with my cleaning. I deliberately tried to relax my instinctively tensed shoulders. He had not asked me a question so I saw no need to answer.

"I am speaking to you," Marcus said his voice ringing with power as it echoed about the room.

" Look, I know what I am now capable of. I have no need for protection," I said quietly for it was true. The power that held my sire's throne together for so long was in my blood and was more than capable of taking on Marcus and coming out unscathered.

But I was not a killer. I have never been. It was against my nature. That was not to say I had not had my share of blood and gore that a battle would produce. I had served my King well. Not only was I his eyes and ears over the years at the various bars I had worked in but I was also his weapon. I had skills of my own above and beyond what my king bestowed on me. Skills that allowed me to live relatively undisturbed by my or any other kind all this while.

Skills I rarely ever used.

Those skills together with what my sire bequested to me left me virtually invincible. I knew it as did Marcus but that was not what he had meant. That also we both knew.

I was weak.

It was a self imposed weakness.

For I did not drink blood.

Not ever for over centuries now.

I lived solely as a human on normal human foods.

This too was a well known fact that had resulted in my exile by my king. So in truth. I would need protection.