Chapter 6

^^Brailyn's apartment^^

I sit in my office just thinking of a certain blue eyed firefighter. I wonder if what Hailie said was true. Does he actually feel a connection with me like I do him? He seems like he could be trustworthy but I'm still kind of hesitant to trust him. I have only known him for a few weeks but I'm starting to open up a little more. A knock on my door brings me out of my thoughts. "Come in" I say.

Hailie comes in with some folders and puts them on my desk . "What is all of this." I don't remember anything else coming up.

She sighs." Okay, so this is what we have so far for Keilans party but we still need his cake. What do you think about a cake that looks like a burning building with him carrying a kid out of? He loves his job so, I figured it would be pretty cool and I even found a bakery that said they can do it for a decent price." She cocks her head to the side with a smile.

" I think that would be awesome. He would love that. Hell, I would love that and I am not a fire fighter. He does talk about his rescues a lot. I think it would be even better if the cake has like a toy firetruck that lights up." Her eyes got big for a moment and she had a devilish grin. " I like the way you think. That would be the coolest cake ever made. Let's do it." She holds up her hand for a high five and I laugh but give it to her.

" It sounds like you put a lot of thought into this party. He is going to love it, not only because it is going to be epic but because it is going to be from your heart." She grabs her chest and looks touched.

We just set there the rest of the day talking about the party, how great it's going to be, how many people is going to be there. All the little details like the color of the streamers and stuff.

The rest of the week flew by. All I could think about was what Kaiden was doing. I am surprised at myself because I have not let a guy get to me like this in a long time. What the hell is wrong with me.

After work, I go get Zeke and head to the park to jog. Jogging is my release. If I am irritated about something, I can always run instead of jogging. I get rid of all the stress from work and bills and everything else. It clears my mind. It's just me and Zeke and the cement. I feel free when I jog.

We get done jogging and sit at the tables again. I cant help but think back to the day Kaiden and Emma showed up. That was actually the most fun I have had in a while. I enjoyed talking to them.

The way a man treats his daughter says a lot about how he would treat a woman. He was gentle with her. He was patient when she was trying to chew on Zekes ball, saying she was a puppy. I thought it was adorable but, I can also see that he didn't want her getting germs from the ball. She asked for a donut before we left and of course, that's where they were going after the park.

We got in the truck after a short break and went back home. I didn't feel like cooking because it was kind of late so I ordered Chinese for supper. When it arrived I opened the door to pay and heard laughing. I look out to see Emma running down the hall toward me and Kaiden chasing after. I couldn't help but smile. She came up and wrapped her arms around my leg. I bent down to hug her. She warms my heart.

" Do you want to hang out with me and Zeke for a little while?" She doesn't answer but she when she sees Zeke by the door, she runs inside to him. "Is it okay if she hangs out here for a little while, you can even come in, if you don't feel comfortable leaving her with me and Zeke." I smile and watch him contemplate.

" Yeah it's fine, I will just tell Keilan that she is with you. Him and Hailie were supposed to watch her so I can run to the firehouse for a minute because I left my badge there, I know she will have fun with you two but if you need anything let Keilan and Hailie know, they have my cell number."