Chapter Eleven

The sun rose, and the sun set, and before Will knew it, an entire week passed.

As the days passed, Maddie became less reticent, and more open to his advice and suggestions. He introduced her to the chief weapons she would use as a Ranger - the double knives and the bow - and set her exercises to familiarize herself with them, and to hone her already considerable skill with the sling. The little clearing in the woods once again rang with the familiar thunk, thunk, thunk of projectiles hitting wooden targets, as they had so many years before during Will's apprentice years.

Will didn't stop missing Alyss, not for a single moment. Her absence was a tiny, painful ache in his stomach, every minute of every day. Every day, the mail carrier brought him a little note in her familiar neat handwriting, a little ray of sunshine tucked in with the bundle of Ranger reports and briefings. And he always sent a note with the mail carrier, keeping her updated about Maddie's progress.

Finally, he could stand it no longer. On the seventh night after Maddie's arrival, he announced over dinner, "We're going up to the castle in the morning. There's some business I have to take care of."

"What business?" Maddie swallowed her bite of potato and watched him curiously.

Over the past few days, he had watched Maddie become more observant and clear-eyed. It was obvious that she was warming to the idea of being a Ranger, and she was beginning to take her apprentice duties seriously.

"Important Ranger business. Top secret," he said gruffly.

"Like what?"

Will resisted the urge to roll his eyes to heaven. Not for the first time over the past week, he felt a newfound respect for Halt, ruefully remembering the hundreds upon hundreds of questions he had peppered his mentor with during his apprenticeship years.

Maddie was still watching him questioningly.

Will relented. "All right, I just want to see Alyss," he admitted.

Maddie winced, and then went red. She dropped her eyes to her dinner, and set down her fork as if she had suddenly lost her appetite.

She spoke so softly, it took Will a moment to decipher your words. "You must really hate me," she murmured.

Will's jaw dropped. "Maddie! Whatever for?"

She fidgeted in her chair. "Since I'm here, Lady Alyss is staying at the castle, and I - I know you really love her. It's my fault she's not here, and that you're missing her."

Will was struck speechless for a long moment by the depth of Maddie's concern for him. He finally found his voice again.

"Maddie," he said softly, "look at me."

It took her a few long seconds, but she finally raised her eyes to meet his. He ached to see the pain and guilt there.

"You're making progress, Maddie, you really are," he said. "Faster than I ever would have dreamed. And Alyss will come back soon. You'll see. She just didn't want to distract you during these first few fundamental weeks of training."

Maddie swallowed nervously. "And when she comes back, will she be Aunt Alyss, or Lady Alyss?"

"That's up for her to decide," Will said gently. "We're trying to do what's best for you and your training, Maddie, and it's not easy. It's because we care about you that we do it. I'll talk to her about it tomorrow when I see her."

Maddie nodded sadly. "All right," she said. Then she rose to her feet, picking up her half-full plate. "I'm full, Will. Can I go to bed now?"

"I'll do the dishes, just this once. You've worked hard today. Go get some sleep before our trip tomorrow."