Chapter Twenty-Five

"It what?!" Maddie burst out.

Gilan and Halt both turned to look at her, surprise evident in their faces.

"It can't split!" Maddie said. "We have to find Aunt Alyss, and the baby, and -"

She was crying before she knew it, days' worth of hot tears spilling uncontrollably down her cheeks. Her throat ached with the failed effort of keeping them back. 

Strong arms wrapped around her, pulling her from the saddle and lowering her to the ground. Maddie curled into Will's lap, burying her face in his cloak-covered shoulder. His grip on her was tight, but it somehow made her feel safe. But her heart was still beating frantically in fear and worry - for Alyss, for the baby, for her and Will's and Gilan's and Halt's safety. And in frustration. Every moment they stayed here, every tear that rolled down her cheek, was another moment in which Ruhl was slipping farther and farther away from them, with Alyss in his grasp. 

"I'm sorry," Maddie mumbled, or at least tried to mumble. Her voice came out thick and blurry through her tears. But Will understood her.

"Shh, Maddie. Don't be sorry," he whispered into her hair. "You have no need to be sorry for any of this."

"But I'm holding us back," she said. "And I'm so weak. I'm not worthy to be a Ranger."

"Hush," Will said again. He kissed her forehead, and it calmed her slightly. "You are not unworthy, my girl. You are so far from unworthy. I don't know a single other person your age, boy or girl, who could do what you've done these past few days. Who could undergo the stress you've felt. Your reaction right now? It's only natural. It's okay to cry. You'll feel better when you're done. So cry everything out, Maddie."

Gilan knelt next to Will, reaching out to stroke Maddie's back. "And we can't go any farther tonight, Maddie. We need to stop anyways. It's full nightfall already. It's not wise to keep going into unfamiliar territory, especially since we don't know where Ruhl is. We'll make camp here for the night, and figure out what to do in the morning."

This also calmed Maddie, and her racking sobs slowly subsided, but she made no move to disengage herself from Will's embrace. Will noticed with a pang of worry how pale she was, and stroked her hair gently, feeling her relax against him. She shivered once as a gust of wind wrapped around them, and Will pulled his cloak tightly around her, an extra layer against the night air. Thunder rumbled in the distance, but her breathing slowed. Within minutes, Maddie was asleep.

Will was the calmest he'd been in several days. Maddie was the closest thing he had to a daughter, and having her here, safe in his arms, where nothing could, for the moment, hurt her, brought something like peace into his heart. Moving slowly, careful not to disturb her, he gathered her into his arms and stood, striding smoothly toward the campfire Halt had built.

Gilan had laid out Maddie's bedroll already, and Will knelt to lower her into it, but Maddie whimpered in her sleep, tightening her fists in his shirt. Will relented, sitting down and leaning back against a tree, laying Maddie's head against his chest. Soon he too was asleep.

Halt watched the mentor-apprentice pair for a moment with an unreadable look on his face and a strange glint in his eye. Then he stooped to pick up Maddie's blanket and walked toward Will and Maddie, draping it over them. He turned and caught Gilan's eye and smirk.

"Don't say it," he said gruffly, and then unrolled his own bedroll. "Wake me for second watch."

Gilan opened his mouth to protest, but Halt rolled over, pulling his cloak over his head.

"Fine, then," Gilan grumbled, and headed for the trees to begin the first watch.

A/N: Yes, short chapter, I know, but I felt our noble heroes needed a break from all that drama. Also it's been a very long time since I've written any Will/Maddie father/daughter fluff and I felt like I needed some of that in my life so that's what I wrote. Next chapter will continue the plot.