Chapter Three: Monsters with Men's Faces

A few hours later, everyone was rested and prepared to continue on.

"Blake, Ali, Daniel, can guys come over here for a sec?" I called the three over to a stump at the edge of the park. They walked over and looked over my shoulder at the map displayed on my NanoCom. A sort of phone-like device that had a holographic display interface.

 A sort of phone-like device that had a holographic display interface

I pointed right of the Pavilion

I pointed right of the Pavilion. "This is where we are." I said. "I figured we should go to everyone's houses to see what kind of damage has happened." The other three nodded.

"Sounds like a good plan." Daniel agreed.

I stood and lifted the Com. "Now, whose house is the closest?" I called around. A couple of people moved forward to look at the map. Aiden raised his hand. "Mines right there." He said, putting a finger just south of where we were. I nodded.

"Let's go then."

A smoking hole welcomed us when we approached the house. Aiden dropped to his knees. I stopped by him and put a hand on his shoulder. I looked over to Chris, Jackson, and Luke. Luke and Jackson hastily shifted. I lifted an eyebrow but thought nothing of it. "You three, go look around." I told them.

"S-sure." Jackson stammered and the trio went off, making a point to avoid the small meteorite protruding from the ground. I felt Aiden shivering under me. I patted him.

We heard a shout from Jackson reach us. "Hey! We found someone! I think it's Aiden's mom!" Aiden's head snapped up. Jackson emerged from the piles of still-smoking rubble escorting a small figure. Aiden jumped to his feet and ran into his mother's arms she hugged him, whispering into his ear words of comfort.

Jackson stepped over to me. "Something doesn't seem right...Something off about her." He muttered to me. I peered at her, and Jackson was right. I'd seen her before, and she looked...green. Not metaphorically sick green, but literally glowing green. I thought about it for a moment, then shrugged it off. It was just the light from the meteor illuminating them.

I turned, intending to let Aiden stay for a little bit to reunite with his family, when I heard him shout. I whipped around and saw him struggling against his mom. She was glowing green.