Chapter Nineteen: Death is Green

I sighed as I stretched my legs an arms. Buckling my weapons on my belt and back again, everyone prepped to continue down this hell-hole. I glanced down at the small crowd that was our company. I could hear Alexis humming a sweet little tune. Fujin clung to Kitsu. He was better now, but his cheeks seemed stained with tear tracks, where they had washed away the grime that had gathered on the small boy's skin.

Niko prepped his rifles, Tony cleaned his gun. Jackson and Luke stood closely together, conversing quietly. Chris was pacing back and forth further up ahead. Blake stood quietly next to Hailey, Davey, and Ashton. Ali and Sherylann stood close by, also talking quietly, occasionally glancing about and at me. Aiden and Brandon stood off to the side joking about something. Rebecca stood off to the side, nodding her head to the beat some EDM music that we could hear muffled, but still echoing against the walls. Jayven stood close by, prepping his explosives with Marcus. The two really got along pretty well.

I clapped my hands together and rubbed them. "Alright..." I started. "Let's continue. Be careful, and go slow. We can't wear down in case there's more Fusion creeps around." I hopped down from the rock I stood on. "Tony, Jayven, Alexis I want you three to go scout ahead." The three nodded and quickly moved onward, Alex albeit a little hesitant.

"The rest of us will move at a steady pace behind." I turned and took the lead.

I heard footsteps getting louder from down the passage. I raised my fist, signaling a stop. Waving both hands to the sides, everyone ran to the walls, crouching behind boulders and glowing Fusion plants. I peered around the edge of the cavity I was hiding in. It was Tony and Alex. Jayven wasn't with them.

I rushed out to meet them. "What happened? Where's Jayven?"

Tony waved his hand. "He's fine. He watching the target."

"Target?" Ashton asked, stepping up.

"Another Fusion..." Alex said hesitantly. "A...woman."

I raised an eyebrow, then turned to see where she was looking. My gaze ended on Kitsu and Fujin. Oh no...I realized. I stepped over to Hailey.

"You have to keep the kid away." I muttered to her.

"Why?" She whispered back, glancing over at the two brothers.

"Well...we've found another Fusion...their...mother."

Hailey's eyes widened. "Oh...yeah. I'll see what I can do."

I nodded. "If you need someone else or two, take them. We can always retreat. But keep the boy back. I don't want him breaking down again."

Hailey nodded and walked off towards Fujin. I caught Kitsu's eye and waved him over. He walked over, glancing at Hailey and Fujin. She said something and the boy smiled and giggled.

"Hey...Kitsu." I said, unsure of what to say. He cocked an eyebrow. "The scouts found...well...they found another Fusion."

Kitsu's eyes narrowed.

"It's...well...there's no other way of saying this, but it's a Fusion of...your mother."

I stepped back as Kitsu grabbed his scythe's shaft and swung it off his back. I saw a fire in his eyes. A fire of anger.

"Settle down a little there buddy..." I tried. "We're gonna take care of her. I asked Hailey to keep Fujin back so he doesn't have to deal with this again, nor become a target...alright?" Kitsu's glare softened.