Chapter Fourteen: Rebecca's Jawbreakers

The large crane-like machine rumbled along the road as we drove towards the Cul-De-Sac in Peach Creek Commons. I stared out, distracted by thoughts, at the passing hills and urban streets. I saw the Terrafusers latched onto the ground and the occasional building, spitting out Spawns who wriggled about in the ground like disgusting maggots, breathing toxic Fusion Matter onto the ground and into the air. I would pull up my Luxury rifle and shoot them down sometimes.

In the vehicle with me was Blake, Jayven, and Rebecca. Probably not the most responsible choices, but everyone else was busy at the camp building something. As we drove along the road, and into Peach Creek Commons, I could see massive walls rise up in the near distance.

"Is that...cardboard?!" I asked, squinting.

"Yup!" Rebecca grinned. I shook my head.

"How is it not all destroyed?" I asked, flabbergasted. "And how is everyone in there not dead?"

Jayven shrugged, concentrating on the road ahead. He was driving. "Double-D...erm, Edd, claims it's the Imaginary Energy in the boxes. They got all of it from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. You know the place." I nodded. Made sense. There was probably so much of the stuff, it deterred the Fusion monsters.

The crane stopped beside the sidewalk near the front of the cardboard fortress. There were two immensely huge wooden boards, with angry-looking child-drawn faces on them in colored chalk or something. I had to laugh. "That's rediculous."

Rebecca shrugged and said, "It is, but it works."

"True." I turned back to the vehicle as Rebecca leaped off. "You guys coming?"

"No," Blake said. "We gotta go look for more unused trailers to take back."

I nodded. "Got it. So...meet you here when?"

Jayven shrugged. "Few hours? Shouldn't take too long."

"Alright." I turned and walked through the massive wooden slabs with Rebecca in tow.

"So...what do we need?"

"I dunno." Rebecca said, shrugging.

I laughed. "You don't know?"

"No. Since when do I ever plan?"

"True...but I would have figure you would have been given a list or something..."

"Nah." She said, waving her hand. I facepalmed and sighed.

"Anyway...We could look for some food, some information..." I said, looking around. The Cul-De-Sac was a bustling hub of people running about, buying and selling wares from the infamous Urban Rangers. Somehow, Rolf had recruited a lot more. Wonder where he is... I thought. And apparently the Edds made a truce with them. Somehow.

I wandered around, looking at the makeshift vendors. I was looking at some shiny rifles and pistols when I heard a shout. I spun around to see Eddy, the short mastermind behind the Edd trio. He wore a yellow polo, with a red stripe, and light blue jeans, a paperclip chain dangling from the hip. He was shouting in his low, gravelly voice, "You! Not you again!" I saw him pointing from over his...er...throne? He was pointing over an old recliner chair at Rebecca, who was looking around and spotted me. She hurried over.

"Get her outta here!" he yelled.

"What's going on?" I said to Rebecca, who grabbed me by the shirt collar and dragged me towards the back of the Cul-De-Sac.

"No time to explain." She called back over her shoulder. "Just jump!"

"Jump...?" I looked up and saw the cardboard wall rising high above us. Rebecca let go of me and clambered onto a long box that stuck out at the bottom, and began leaping from one to another, scaling the wall quickly. Muttering about poor timing, I followed.

On the other side, I stood, doubled over and panting. "What...the...heck...Rebecca?!" She herself was bouncing about over a park bench. I looked around and saw new Fusion monsters. One kind had four very short arms, a metal cylindrical body, with four arms protruding from it and ending in roaring chainsaws. They had small heads that looked like upside-down helmets, with jagged metal teeth. They clanked and revved off. My NanoCom declared them Painsaws. I shuddered. Painsaw indeed.

The others were Hydro Hammers. Their body was made of massive plumbing pipes in the shape of a Y, caps on all ends. They had no visible head. They had long, thin arms made of thick tubing that ended in fire hydrants, presumably to smash things like hammers. Their legs were short and made of more plumbing tubes and pipes.

I turned to Rebecca. "What was that all about?!"

"Oh..." She said. "Well, last time we were here, I may have accidentally stumbled into 'King' Eddy's secret jawbreaker stash and taken most of them." She shrugged and used air quotes with her fingers when she said 'king'.

"What?!" I shouted. A couple monsters heard me and turned towards us. Rebecca whipped out her massive Quartz Hammer and slipped her headphones on, switching on her loud EDM music. I could hear it, muffled. "In a minute okay?" She said and dashed off. I pulled out a sword, but hung back. I watched the girl's skill in utter destruction. Not a single Fusion got as near as to scratch her. Rebecca was too fast, too agile, and utterly fearsome. She laughed as she flew into the air and fell down with a loud crunching smash, landing her hammer on top of a Painsaw. The saw-ended arms twitched, then collapsed.

A few minutes later there were no more Fusions around. Just Terrafusers spitting out Spawns to replace the lost numbers.

"You stole Eddy's Jawbreakers?!" I said again. Eddy adored the candy more than anything else. He was famous for the scams he pulled to rip off either money or the candy from people in the Suburbs.

Rebecca shrugged. "He was fine without them, and frankly, they weren't his. He took them from everyone else!" I sighed and shook my head.

"C'mon. We need to meet Jayven and Blake back at the front."