Chapter 1: Vacation

The silence filled the house as Maka lay on her bed, staring at the ceiling. It'd been about a week since they'd defeated the Kishin.

When she and the others had gone back up to the DWMA, they'd practically all collapsed right at the entrance. She remembered the worried look on Crona's face as the seven of them limped back to the school.

Maka placed a finger on one of the bandages on her arms. She sighed and curled up, thinking about how weak Kid and the twins had been. Black Star had to be hospitalized for the first five days. Tsubaki stayed by his side all that time despite her own wounds.

Soul was pretty weak afterwards, as well. His wounds were hardly fatal, but they would probably leave scars. Maka had to practically carry him up the steps to the school.

A knock came from the door, dragging Maka out of her thoughts. Soul looked into the room, his hair sticking out in places and his eyes revealing this own exhaustion. He pushed the door open completely, rubbing his forehead to clear his thoughts.

"Today is our last day of break. You should probably get out of bed," he muttered. "We promised Kid and Black Star we'd play one more game."

Maka hesitated and sat up. "I'm up. I'll be out in a second. It's your turn to make breakfast." Soul chuckled, nodding before leaving the room and closing the door.

Maka smiled to herself and stood up. She got dressed and stepped out of the room.

"Do I really have to play today?" Maka asked, sitting at the table. She looked at the plate that Soul set in front of her. She bit into the pancake and looked up at him as he made his plate.

"Yes, Maka," he answered. "You have to go. It's the last day we can all just hang out."

Maka sighed and they sat in silence as they ate. Since the fight with the Kishin had been done with, everyone had sort of become distant. They had been out of it for a while and when they finally realized that everything was over, they began to talk more. But the meisters and weapons had grown apart from each other. They had a cloud of weakness above them.

Maka placed her dishes beside the sink and went to finish getting ready. Once Soul was all done, the two of them headed towards the basketball court.

Kid, Liz, and Patty were already there, sitting on the bench and laughing over something Patty had said. Once they noticed Soul and Maka, they began to get the game ready.

"Okay, once Tsubaki and Black Star show up, we're going to have two teams," Soul began. "Patty, Kid, and Maka will be one team. Black Star, Tsubaki, and I will be the other."

Liz sat on the bench, fixing her nails as usual. She gave Kid and Patty a thumbs up before going back to perfecting the nail polish.

The entire time, Maka kept failing. She only scored one basket, but at the very end. It was mainly luck since she'd accidentally thrown it as she slipped.

Maka lay on the ground and sighed, shaking her head.

"You finally won a game," Soul said, patting her gently on the back. She smiled and intertwined her fingers together behind her back.

"Yeah, I guess I did..." she felt proud as she marched into their apartment.

(A/N: This is the first chapter to a story idea I had after watching Soul Eater.)