Chapter 15: Secured

Maka sat at her desk, gazing at her papers blankly. Her green eyes darted to Dr. Stein after his third time of repeating her name. She muttered something before looking away, tapping her eraser against the paper as she gazed at her hand.

"Miss Albarn?" Dr. Stein was trying to stay patient. He was the only one who truly understood what was happening to her, but this behavior was starting to tick him off.

"Maka..." Soul hissed, elbowing his meister. She ignored him, her gaze shifting to the three boys in the back again. They were, along with the rest of the class, looking at her, their eyes widening when they saw her attention drawn towards them.

"Maka Albarn!"

The blonde stayed silent, her body showing no sign of hearing the anger in her teacher's tone.

The three boys' expressions turned to horror as she smiled. Not a friendly smile, but a dark one that sent chills down their spines. Her eyes were filled with some emotion unknown to them as she watched them, all the while tapping her pencil eraser against the table.

"Maka," Soul stated, grabbing her arm cautiously.

"I see you." She hissed, her eyes darting over their heads. "And I don't like it."

Soul placed a hand underneath her chin to turn her attention towards him.

"Maka, you are disrupting class." Dr. Stein stated before Soul could say anything. The blonde's smile didn't falter as she chuckled, her eyes glaring into Soul's.

******** Time Skip *********

Maka leaned against the wall, biting into the sandwich Soul had made for lunch. She had fallen completely silent after she was kicked out of the classroom to sit out in the hall.

"Oi, why have you been picking on us?" one of the group members from before asked, walking up.

"You're annoying and bothersome. You...hurt Crona." she looked up at him as she finished up her lunch.

"That little whiner?" He sneered.

Maka looked out of the corner of her eye to see Crona being fussed over by Liz and Patty, their hands fixing the t-shirt and black jeans they'd given him. She looked back to the guy before her and cocked her head to the side, her face expressionless as he began to speak again.

"He was asking for it."

"If that's the case, then you..." her face darkened, a frown deepening on her features. "You are asking for much...much worse."

It only took a second to have him pinned against the wall, a blade of black blood cut through his shoulder. His two friends were too stunned to try to help, leaving him to silently fight against her hand against his neck.

"Maka?!" She heard her father call before she was pulled away. They didn't have to fight against her. The shadows and black blood were quickly removed from the boy before she went limp.

Spirit lifted his daughter over his shoulder, looking to Dr. Stein to tend to the boy. He ran off, his daughter glaring at the two males panicking over their friend.

*************************************

Maka snapped out of it as the metal cuffs were clasped onto her wrists, shocking her to face her captor. Wide-eyed, she opened her mouth to say something to her father, but his face showed that nothing could be said.

Maka watched the red haired man leave the room, his eyes looking to her before closing the door. She was confused.

Why would they lock me up? Have I done something wrong?

"Of course you have." someone spoke.

The blonde looked up to see Medusa, a snake wrapped around her arm. The snake woman chuckled.

"You do everything wrong, Maka."

"You were barely able to save everyone when Asura attacked." Arachne appeared, her purple eyes gazing calmly to Maka. "The entire world, including Death City, was almost destroyed because you weren't strong enough. You were barely able to protect one person, Soul."

"S-stop it." Maka stammered.

"Why? You're the one who asked the questions." They stated in unison. "Are you too weak to handle a simple answer?"

"Stop."

"You're the one who wanted to know. Why ask if you don't want to know the answer?"

Medusa grabbed hold of Maka's chin, making her look up.

"You're too weak."

Tears rolled down her face as the door swung open, revealing a worry-faced Soul. Medusa and Arachne were gone, leaving her feeling oddly relieved.

Soul ran over to her, falling to his knees and grabbing her tear streaked face to look at him.

"Are you alright?" he asked. Maka's eyes widened as tears stung at her eyes. Soul sighed and kissed her on the forehead. "It's okay. You're only in here for a little while. It won't be much longer, I promise."

Maka sniffled and nodded. Soul smiled and pressed his forehead to hers.

Without any warning, he kissed her. It was just a gentle peck on the lips before he pulled back and ruffled her hair with his hand.

"Just rest." He smiled before standing up again. "I'll get you out of here soon."