Chapter 5: Nobody

Soul sat in his seat, trying to pay attention to Dr. Stein, but he couldn't concentrate. He looked to the empty seat beside him where Maka had usually been.

For the past two weeks, she hadn't ever come out of her room. She doesn't speak to him when he comes to the door anymore either.

Soul stood up as the bell rang, grabbing his unopened notebook off of the wood. He was the first out of the room, his legs going faster than normal as he got ready to go home. There was no reason for him to be in a hurry. There wasn't anyone at home for him to be waiting to see, but he still felt concerned by something.

Soul didn't wait for Black Star as he called out his name. He sped up, sprinting towards the door. As he stumbled into the apartment, the door closed to Maka's bedroom.

Maka stood there, holding the handle in one hand. Her green eyes gazed into his and he felt something coming from her. She was different somehow.

"Maka?" he asked, closing the door behind him.

"I just came out for some water," she answered.

Her brown hair was loose around her shoulders. There were parts of her hair that stuck out in places. It was obvious that she hadn't brushed it or washed it since she got hurt. The bandages were disgusting, blood stains covering the outside of it and there was dust and dirt covering them.

Her sweat pants were molding from them not being washed and her fingernails were caked with dried blood and dirt. She looked at him blankly as he took in the image before him.

"Maka..." he said before gagging as the smell hit him.

"Yeah?" She asked, her voice dull.

"Come on," he stepped forward and opened up the bathroom, placing her on the edge of the tub. "You need to be cleaned up."

As the water ran in the tub, Maka silently let him clean out her fingernails, clipping them and getting the dirt out. He left and got her a change of clothes to put on once she got out of the bath. He walked back in and set the outfit on the counter.

Soul helped pull off her torn shirt and stood there, hesitating.

"Can you do the rest?" he asked. Maka nodded and began to unravel the bandages. Soul left quickly and listened as a splash was heard. He sat down and turned on the television, listening to the loud speakers. A few minutes later, he heard his name.

"What is it?" he called back, setting the remote on the couch and standing up. There was no answer and he sighed, closing his eye tightly and walking into the bathroom.

"Maka?" he asked. No answer came, so he opened one eye and sighed in relief. Maka sat in the water, from her chin to her toes hidden. She looked at him, pointing to the shampoo on the counter.

Soul took it and handed it to her. She accepted it and sunk deeper into the water, setting the shampoo bottle on the edge of the tub. Soul was about to walk out when Maka slipped, her entire body becoming submerged in the water, her feet now evident over the water. He watched as she peacefully stayed that way.

Now he knew that something was definitely wrong with her. Shrugging it off for a later time, he grabbed her arm and pulled her back up, looking away from her as she sat back in place.

Once she was out, she put on her bandages, slipped on her clean sweatshirt and jeans, and went into her room, locking the door. Soul didn't say anything to her as he made himself something to eat. He would probably have to get used to this.

Maka relaxed onto her bed, staring at the ceiling. She felt different. She could feel that something was wrong, but for some reason, it didn't bother her. This was fine and she didn't mind it at all.

Maka sighed and looked around her dark room.

What is that sound? She asked herself as a slow hissing noise appeared. She couldn't figure out where it was coming from. It sounded like it was surrounding her.