Chapter 4: Locked Away

Maka felt like she was drowning. It was painful, yet she could feel her muscles relax as she sunk deeper into the darkness. She didn't try to move or look around. This was perfect. She was content.

Maka closed her eyes as the gentle feeling of the darkness around her kept her in place. 

She opened her eyes again as she felt something pulling her out of her peace.

Pain poked at her, making her flinch. It ceased until she felt another pinch at her insides. She listened as her relaxation began to crumble away and light surrounded her, biting at the edges of her vision. She groaned in discomfort and felt a soft hand on her shoulder, making her wince in pain. Her entire body was sore.

"Maka?" someone asked as she weakly rubbed at her eyes. Once her vision was back, she looked at where the voice had come from to find Soul standing there. Kid and the sisters were sleeping on the other side of the room. Black Star and Tsubaki were sitting in chairs, trying to keep their eyes open.

"Where..." she began, but her voice cut off as she tried to finish her sentence.

"Just rest," Soul stated, sitting back in his chair. "You'll be going home tomorrow, so you should relax and rest until then."

Maka nodded, looking away. She tried to shift her weight to get comfortable, but a shock ran through her, causing a pained gasp to escape from her lips. Blood trickled from her mouth as she lifted up the blanket, looking at the bandages wrapped around her front.

"Are you alright?" Soul asked, concern filling his voice as he leaned forward in his seat.

Maka managed a weak nod, wiping the blood away. She closed her eyes and quickly fell back to sleep.

Maka jolted awake as the door to her room closed. She'd been moved to her own bed, the blanket pulled up to her chin. She sat up and rubbed her forehead weakly. The pain from the wound prevented her from getting out of bed.

A strange feeling tugged at her, enveloping her in the need to curl up back in bed. She didn't want to get out to see anyone. This felt nice. The thought of having to see other people made her feel oddly uncomfortable.

Maka forced herself to walk to the door and locked it, practically crawling back to the bed.

Soul leaned against the couch, moving the cushions around as he watched the television. He was worried about her. She was his meister and he was supposed to protect her. He failed.

The sound of the door to her room being locked made him straighten up and turn to face it. She never locked that door unless she was upset or getting dressed. His eyebrows furrowed as he waited for another sound, but there was nothing except the slight sound of feet moving against the floor. He sighed and turned back to the screen.

Soul waited a few minutes and got up, going to knock on the door. He stood there, waiting for a response.

"Maka?" he asked.

"Yeah?" a weak, hoarse voice came in response.

"Are you hungry?" he called back. "You haven't eaten anything in five days."

"I'm fine," she answered. Soul tried to figure out what her tone said about what she was feeling, but there was nothing. No emotion in her voice whatsoever.

Soul tried the knob, but as he expected, it was locked. He put his forehead to the door and sighed.