Chapter 39

BEX'S POV

"Duchess? Are you alright?" I asked, digging through the handsome man's pockets. I faltered a step as I saw the comms unit in his ear. Damn it. As I stepped on the earpiece, I heard the duchess say, "I-I'm fine. Miss B-" 

Changing my accent to an American one, I quickly interrupted her, "I'm afraid he has an earpiece. I would rather not risk my identity. My lady, we need to get you to a safe location." She nodded quickly, frightfully, in that delicate way of hers. I heard orders being fired off in my ear, and proceeded in telling the petite brunette, "There's a guard waiting for you at the end of the hallway, you need to run. If anything happens, scream. I'll be there. I need to get rid of this." I said, gesturing to the boy in my arms. She took off quickly, looking back at me once more. I had only been with her for four months, yet she already trusted me more than her other guards. 

I hauled the guy over my shoulder, turning a corner, and spotted a supply closet that I could stay in until he woke up. Though I had a gun in my hands and an order to kill him, I couldn't bring myself to do it. He reminded me too much of....well, the girls and Zach. It was just like looking through a glass back in time to a ball sophomore year. 

Lost in thought, I only caught the end of a very startling conversation before looking up to two very close and very recognizable people down the hall. 

"No. Listen to me, you lost her. That was your fault. I did my part." 

The young man hissed back at the girl, "Goddammit, what are we going to do now, huh? Why don't you just come up with another of your amazing plans to fix this? If you hadn't left, maybe we could have tightened up on this mission." 

"Do not try to blame me for this. Just admit you-" 

And then I nearly tripped at the sight of Grant pressing Cammie against a wall and kissing her.

note: thanks for almost 200 reads! and i know this chapter was super short but the next one will be really long!(: