Chapter 46

DEMPSEY'S POV

The car ride was filled with silence as Kat and I sat there knowing very well that the fate of this mission was in our hands. If we couldn't pull this off then Zach would be mad and I'd be disappointed in myself. I wanted to prove that I was a lot more than the rich boy with nothing to do. Even if I wasn't publicizing this, it was still a way of proving it to myself.  

When my dad committed suicide when I was 11 I always thought I would live and die worthless like he did. He was an alcoholic who lied and mistreated people, he also physically abused my mother and even me at times.  

I swore that I would never end up like that, that I would give myself worth. And now, I was convincing myself that I was good at something.  

"Demspsey!" Kat's soft voice snapped me out my thoughts.  

"Hmmm?" I murmured.  

"The driver said that we're about 2 minutes away from the castle. Are you nervous?" 

"No, no, im fine." 

Kat's black eyebrows raised, "No need to pretend. It's just me." 

I sighed and eventually gave in to her crystal blue eyes.  

"I am nervous," I admitted.  

"That's ok," Kat said, taking my hand, "So am I." 

I smiled at her and she smiled back. Somehow, having her by my side made this all better.  

"We're here!" The driver announced.  

"Let's go," Kat said, stepping out of the car.  

"Wait!" I said as I stepped out after her.  

Kat spun around and looked at me, "What?" 

I pulled her closer and softly kissed her on the forehead.  

"For luck," I smiled.  

••• 

"You are very beautiful," Miranda told Kat in her thick accent.  

Miranda had her brunette hair in waves that fell around her face. She was wearing a simple dress and black flats.  

"Oh, thank you duchess," Kat replied, blushing.  

"Call me Miranda," she smiled at Kat.  

"I'm in love with this artwork Miranda," Kat pointed to the massive works of art hanging from the wall.  

I knew Kat and her crew were thieves but watching her look at art was amazing.  

The way her eyes glistened and seemed to dance as they roved on the painting.  

"My grandmother painted that one," Miranda pointed to a painting on the wall.  

The painting was of two women, one looked like the mother and the other the daughter. They looked sad, almost depressed.  

"She's very talented," Kat smiled up at Miranda.  

Miranda looked at me, "Your little sister seems to have more of an interest in art than you." 

"I'm amazed by all of this as well," I replied.  

"You know where our best artwork is?" Miranda gleamed.  

"Where?" I asked, as if I didn't know.  

"The basement," She smiled. 

"I would love to see it," Kat batted her eyelashes innocently at Miranda.  

"Then follow me."

note: ONLY. FOUR. CHAPTERS. LEFT. 

thank you for all the reads and votes ily all, i also love comments!xx