Chapter 42

KAT'S POV

The limo ride back to the chateau seemed to take a lot longer. Looking out of the tinted windows into the night sky I noticed that the stars were especially beautiful. 

I glanced at Hale who had passed out with his head on Macey's lap. Macey ran her long fingers through his golden hair as she leaned her head back and closed her eyes.  

Just a little less than an hour ago I was angry enough to kill Macey for taking Hale from me. But now, looking at them, I realized that they were perfect for each other. They were both insanely rich and had families who cared more about money than each other. They were both beautiful and broken.  

••• 

As everyone made their way to their respective bedrooms, I decided to go out onto the porch. Sure it was 1AM, but I totally could not sleep.  

After making myself hot tea I sat on the bench and took small sips. 

"Hey." 

The voice startled me and I spun around nearly spilling my tea.  

"Oh my gosh Dempsey you scared me!" I sighed.  

"May I join you?" He ignored my remark.  

"Go ahead," I patted the spot beside me on the bench.  

"How are you?" He looked at me with a serious expression.  

I tried to avoid eye contact with him and I looked straight ahead, sipping my tea.  

"I'm fine," I whispered.  

"No you're not Kat. I may have only known you for a week, but I know you're not fine." 

"But I am." I said quietly. 

"You've been running a lot of stuff around here. And I think you're really good at it. But you don't have to always be so strong. It's okay to be sad about a breakup. It's okay to hate the girl that stole your boyfriend. It's okay to stand up for someone you care about. It's okay to have feelings for someone you're not supposed to." 

I laughed quietly and looked at the brunette boy with a soft smile on his face.  

"Maybe you're right." 

"Hell yes I'm right." Dempsey's smile grew wider on his face.  

"You know," He continued,"I decided to join you guys because I was bored. Guess what, I'm not bored anymore." 

"Well I'm glad we could provide you with entertainment," I rolled my eyes at him playfully.  

"Getting knocked out really was the icing on the cake," He added.  

"Oh my goodness, I forgot! Bex apologized right?" I looked at him, eyes wide.  

"Yeah she did. She's quite feisty." Dempsey laughed.  

"That's what I've heard."I smiled. 

Dempsey ran his big hands through his messy brown hair and looked up at the sky.  

"You looked beautiful in that dress," He murmured, his gaze never leaving the sky.  

"Well you in that grey suit was making me swoon a little," I winked at him. 

Dempsey's deep chuckle filled the night air.  

"You're hilarious," He raised his eyebrows at me.  

"Ditto." 

"Do you ever want to do something you know you shouldn't do?" I said, my eyes trailing down to his deep pink lips. 

Dempsey green eyes looked straight into mine as he whispered, "Yeah." 

And with that we sat in silence looking up at the stars until I heard Dempsey's soft snores. I laid my head on his chest and used the pounding of his heart to lull me to sleep.

note: ahh almost 600 reads, thank you! i loved writing this scene i thought it was so cute! even though it may not be between the 2 characters you wanted hehehe.xx