Chapter 50

{ i want to see you be brave...}

Dempsey's POV

After talking to Townsend, I sauntered off to find a vending machine because I was starving. Just as I was choosing between Cheezits and Oreos my phone vibrated in my pocket. I looked at the caller ID and sucked in a sharp breath.  

It was my mom.  

"Hello?" I said cautiously as I answered the phone.  

"Dempsey! Honey, I have missed you so much! Where have you been the last month?" 

"Around..." I said slowly.  

"I want you home in DC Dempsey! I have some news for you!" Her voice reaching pitches so high she could break glass.  

"You can tell me the news over the phone," I answered sternly.  

"Well as you know me and Daniel have been getting very serious... Let me just skip to the point, he asked me to marry him last week!" She squealed so loudly I thought my eardrums would burst.  

I felt the blood drain out of my face.  

Daniel was a piece of scum. And she was only with him for his money.  

I hadn't been able to pin it on him, but I was also sure he was the leader of a drug circle.  

I couldn't believe my mother was marrying him. She made horrible decisions when it came to men.  

"I am in DC. I'll be home by tonight Mom," I sighed on the phone.  

"Yay, I'm so excited! Oh and by the way, the wedding is this weekend." 

My jaw practically dropped to the ground as I replayed her words.  

This weekend?! 

"Mom that's so soon!" I said bewildered.  

"Exactly why you need to get home soon. Look I have to go the florist is here. See you tomorrow honey! Love ya!"  

I hit the lock button on my iPhone and ended the call without a goodbye. 

I had been looking forward to spending my two weeks off relaxing. Maybe even visiting some of my cousins in England.  

Instead I was going to my mother's wedding.  

I grabbed my bag of Oreos from the vending machine and walked back to where everyone was. 

I looked inside one of the rooms and I saw Macey's back as she was staring at Kat and Hale. 

What was going on?

HALE'S POV

"I love you. I am insanely in love with you. And I have been since the day we met. I know I've made my mistakes but please. All I want, and ever wanted, is you." My pleading eyes looked at her with such affection I thought her heart would burst.  

"But-but-but- Macey..." She stuttered, tears brimming at her eyes.  

"I'm sorry. I will do anything to fix this Kat. Anything. Macey means absolutely nothing to me, she was a mistake. A stupid mistake." 

Kat looked off over my shoulder and her eyes widened. I turned around to see what she was staring at and there stood Macey.  

Her sparkly eyes filled with tears almost instantly and she gulped loudly. I never thought I'd see Macey McHenry cry, and I definitely never even dreamed that I'd be the cause of it.  

"What's going on in here?" Dempsey asked as he walked into the room. Seconds later Zach and Bex walked in.  

"Macey are you..." Bex started before Kat cut her off.