Chapter 45

DEMPSEY'S POV

Today, I was going back to the castle. Today, I had to charm the Duchess again. Today, I would be successfully complete my first mission. Though it wasn't technically my mission.  

I put on a pair of black slacks and a light blue button down shirt. I tamed my messy brown hair as much as I could.  

I wondered what Kat was going to be wearing. Our talk the other night had been great. She really opened up. She didn't act shy and reserved as she usually did.  

I knew that Zach liked Kat, that was obvious, but how did Kat feel about Zach? 

My thoughts were interrupted by a loud banging on the door.  

Macey was wearing black skinny jeans that sat low on her small waist and a sheer white v-neck. Her dark hair fell in natural waves that framed her small face.  

"Good luck," Macey shot snarkily.  

"Thank you," I replied.  

Macey's eyes seemed to linger on mine for a few more seconds before she turned around, and walked away.  

•••

KAT'S POV

Once the car door had been shut behind me, I leaned my head back and tried not to think about Hale and Macey's bedroom appearance the other day. I tried not think about her porcelain skin or her full and long jet black hair, having so much more life to it than mine. I also tried not to think about Hale's scruff on the side of his chin and the dark color that now rimmed his eyes. And I knew it was because of me. A burning, hollow ache formed at my chest and I willed for the tears daring to escape my eyes to go back. The little voice in my head sang back old conversations I had had with him. I didn't realize it, but my chest was moving rapidly in vigorous movements. Changing courses to keep a clear mind, I thought about someone else.  

I thought about Zach; Cold, mysterious, tempting, and quite frankly, scary Zach. Yes, he thought like me at times. Yes, he cared about me. And glorious yes, he didn't have to buy me the world to show he cared. My only worry was... well, Cammie. Respect flooded through me for her, yet some part of my skin crawled every time I thought back to her nightmarish state at the mansion. I could almost forget about her with Zach- almost. Zach hadn't even tried to deny that he loved her. Maybe still love loves, I reminded myself. That thinking wasn't going to get me there either.  

So I thought of- 

"Kat?" Dempsey asked.  

His concerned voice rushed into my head, making my eyes open and preparing a convincing smile. "Sorry, I've just been so tired lately. I didn't even hear you come in."

note: as i promised yesterday, here's the new chapter! thank you so much for over 1,000 reads, im so happy!  

also, countdown to the end of Ties and Spies! 

5 CHAPTERS LEFT 

love you guys!xx