0.6

• M A T T H E W  H E N S L E Y •

Matthew was laid in his bed, his eyes blankly staring at the ceiling as he watched the light bulb flicker amidst small insects flying around it.

The sound of his breathing was the only evident sound in the room, although his brain was somewhere other than his room, and his heart would constantly flicker through memories of Ella's messages and how she always knew what to tell him when he needs comforting.

Ella was everything Matthew thought a friend should be, maybe even more and it haunted him to no end how much he wanted her in his life.

He massaged his temples, looking down at the phone beside him before he reacher out for it and unlocked it, typing a message to none other than,

"Hey Ella"

He read the message over and over again, contemplating on if he should send it, or if he should change it, ultimately he chose to press the send button.

He sighed for the millionth time today. He knew it probably didn't mean anything to Ella. The fact that he was so indecisive talking to her, so careful that he didn't want to say the wrong thing that simple things such as "hey" and "what are you doing?" are the hardest choices he'd ever make in a day. But over the months that he has talked to her, he has come to learn that she wasn't like most girls. Ella wasn't judgmental and doesn't jump to conclusions like most girls. She never spoke badly about anyone and often finds good in others rather than the bad like most girls don't.  This was what set her apart. This was why Matthew was so intimidated by her. She wasn't special.

Suddenly a message popped up in Matthew's phone screen.

"Hey Mark, what's up?"

She was much more.