1.4

• M A T T H E W H E N S L E Y •

Matthew didn't know why, but for some reason the whole ordeal made him tired. It made him tired to smile, as smiling progressively made his cheeks hurt and flush like it never has before. It made him tired to speak, as speaking strained his throat, causing his voice to becoming hoarse, like he's been staying up late. It made him tired to laugh, as the sound of his laugh ringing in his ears made him nauseous. It made him even more tired to blink, as blinking only made his chest knotted by the sight before him.

"So... Are there any questions you've got for me? Seeing as this is some sort of serious gathering" Noah joked, and in response Matthew chuckled, smiling down at his hands resting on his lap, his fingers fidgeting together as he tried forming words in his head.

He remembered the drive going to Lola's Diner just a few moments ago. Thoughts were circling his mind as he memorized the questions he was ready to ask Noah, even going as far as practicing the movement of his mouth just to make sure the words didn't tie in his tongue. This method proved to be unsuccessful to him now though, as not a single thought was able to process in his head.

Matthew once again chuckled, this time a little bit louder, hoping that it would mask how uncomfortable he felt at the moment. "Wow, way to put me on the spot Noah." He smiled before rubbing his fingers against his temples as if he was thinking as he spoke once more, "I'll ask you this Noah, Tell me what it is you like the most about my best friend?" It was a simple question. So simple yet its simplicity was what made it so complex. Perhaps its the fact that such a vague question could want so much from an answer. It was the first thing that came to mind.

Noah only smiled at Julie, his long lashes being evident from where Matthew sat as he gave her a glance which almost tore his heart out.

God, what am I feeling? He asked internally, trying to steady himself as he suddenly found it hard to breathe.  Why am I feeling like this?

"Thats an easy question." Noah finally stated after a second of silence. "She's definitely more than what meets the eye. A stranger who saw her would think she was this shy gorgeous girl but once you get to know her you realize just how confident she is, and how much she cares for her family and friends, her passion in everything she does and just simply being beautiful inside and out." Noah's eyes were straight towards Matthew's as he said this, as some sort of signal that he was really serious about her and that he would do nothing to hurt her.

Matthew of course believed it. But he still did not want to support their relationship. Easily anyone could have said the answer Noah had given to him. It was a heartfelt and genuine answer, but that was not what Matthew was looking for. Matthew wanted to hear him say that despite the fact that she was beautiful both inside and out he did not let this distract them from her flaws, and loved them just as equally as he loves her strengths. Matthew wanted to hear him say that it was the small things that he noticed her for and not the front which Julie sometimes portrays herself to be, but despite this finds it cute how shes thoughtful and generous in the most subliminal way. Matthew wanted to hear him say that he did not only like something about Julie, he loved everything, from her passions to her fears to her weaknesses and everything in between. Matthew went on and on in his head thinking about all those other right words that he wanted to hear from Noah's mouth until he noticed Julie, more beautiful than ever, her nose between the apples of her cheeks all light red, making her freckles evident as her cheeks perked up at Noah to give him her infamous bright smile, her eyes just as bright as it glistened up at him before Matthew had realized,

Maybe he was in love with the wrong girl all along.

_________________________

Yes I must admit this chapter is a bit rushed but to be fair I was super sleepy while writing this... Anyway theres 8-9 more chapters to go and I cant believe I made it as far as 15 chapters!

-alyssa