One

"Congratulations, Daniel James Howell for earning your Master's Degree in Law"

There it was. Hanging on the wall of my new office... The four years of university had finally paid off, and as a start to my year of being twenty-two... I was about to start my dream career.

It was all taking place.. and I couldn't have been happier.

/

"Daniel.. You will start off with simple cases. Minor crimes..." My boss, Mr. Rodgers said. If you are worthy of more, I'll consider giving you more.. but you have to earn it. Our fellow lawyers earned the reputations they have here, Daniel... You will not be treated any different. Here's your first case..." He handed me a folder full of information. "Parking violation and trespassing.. Go."

Fucking rude... but okay.

I went back to my office, and others passed me in the corridor. They all snickered and smiled with their judgmental accusations as to why the newbie was acting so smug for having only his first case....regarding a woman with charges against her for trespassing and violating parking laws.

/

Renee P. Castro, age 32...

Great.. Someone ten years older than me is going to get their bum handed to by a newbie lawyer who doesn't know what their future holds. Wonderful.

Trespassed on Carter Michaels's property, parking her vehicle in front of his house.

Castro was given multiple warnings to move off of Michaels's property, but failed to do so.. many tickets were signed. Castro had broken into Michaels's home in past cases.

Michaels's attorney: Daniel J. Howell

"Okay then.. I better call my client, and set up a meeting for the details of the case.." I said to myself.

/

Time for court

"Renee P. Castro.. you have been charged with trespassing and multiple parking violations by Mr. Carter Michaels, and by the state... you will be fined £2,000 for the damages.." The judge announced.

/

Day one... done.

Whilst walking back to my office, I overheard a few men talking to our boss about a new case that was filed whilst I was working on my first case.

"I need the best attorney on this case... this is the ultimate job.." My boss said.

"I'm worthy.." One of the men said.

"You're new.." Another said.

"So?"

"He's right.. I need someone who is capable to handle this.." He said again. "Someone who will take this seriously and not fail me.. This man needs to be locked up if the investigation points him out as the suspect.."

/

What's this case? Who is this man?

I saw the other attorneys walk away, and my boss went back to his office. "How can I prove it to him... when I've only taken over one case?" I sighed. "Fuck it.." I got up and went to the door of my employer's office.

Here we go..

I was just about to knock when the door opened.

"Howell.. What do you need?" He asked. I gulped.

"I heard you need someone to take over an important case.." I said.

"And you think you can handle it?" He asked.