Twelve

"Dan..." Signe sighed.

"What?"

"What if they're already dead? You saw what he did to Mark..." She cried again.

"Signe, you need to stay positive..." I said, my hand on her shoulder. "Please... They don't want to see us in tears, darling.."

"Right..." She took a deep breath.

"We're here... And ready.." The female's voice came over the radio again.

"We'll call back when it's safe to go in..." The man said.

-

"What's that noise?" The man asked. "Shit... Which one of you tipped off the police?" He held a knife towards both Seán and myself. "Speak!"

"I told you...." I said.

"Excuse me?"

"I said they'd find me..." I said. The police busted down the door of the barn, but as soon as they were in view, the man put me in a choker hold, the knife to my neck. I saw a gun in his pocket, but he had never used it.

"Put the knife down..." The female cop said.

"Seán, are you alright?" The man asked, untying him.

"Don't come any closer!" He yelled in my ear. "I'll fucking kill him!"

"Look.... you don't want to do that..." Seán said.

"Seán... Let us negotiate.." She said.

"No... I've been here long enough to know..." Seán said. "Look... Killing Phil is not going to help your case.. You already have three murders on your record.."

"How the fuck do you know that?"

"I may like boys... but I'm not stupid. I'm just bisexual.." He said. "You killed Dan's mother.... My... boyfriend.... and your own son.... Haven't you done enough?"

"Don't speak to me like that..." The man pushed the knife closer to my throat until I felt the first layer of skin burn with pain. "I'll fucking do it!"

"Then why haven't you?" Seán asked. "Phil has been here for three weeks... I've been here for a week... Mark was here for about a day... You killed him almost immediately... and every time Phil said something, you just punched him. You could've killed him a long time ago.."

It all happened so quickly. The man threw me to the ground, my neck bleeding slightly, and there was gunfire.

-

"What was that?" Signe asked. "Seán..."

"Phil..." I said. "The police didn't signal us... what the hell are you doing?" Signe started getting out of the car.

"I have to go! I thought you'd want to go as well!" She screamed.

-

"Shots fired... We need backup and multiple ambulances.."

"Seán... are you okay?" One officer untied me, and I ran to his side.

"Yeah...." He coughed. "Tell... tell Signe... I love her.."

"Seán!" A female voice squealed.

"You came..." He took her hand. "Is the ambulance here?"

"They just arrived..." She started tearing up. "Dan!"

"Where is he?" I asked, desperately.