Eight

"What happened?" I asked, panicking.

"We were walking to the mall, and a car sped up whilst we crossed the street..." She explained.

"Phil, we need to go... Now.. Sophie, stay on the phone with me, okay? We're on our way..."

/

"Sophie!" I ran down a corridor until I heard her call back, whilst Phil signed us in under the visitors list.

"In here!" She said, and I walked in to see my brother lying in a hospital bed, put on oxygen.

"No..." I started to tear up.

"The guy who did this is in the waiting room... We're the only ones allowed in... I tried to explain that Phil is going to be Adrian's brother-in-law..." She said, leaning into my side, crying. "They won't let Phil in unless Adrian's condition resolves..."

"How'd this all happen?"

"He was taking me to a film..." Sophie said. "It... It was going to be our second date..."

"Did he kiss you?" I asked.

"What?"

"All I ever here from him talking with his friends... is how much he loves you and wants your first kiss to be romantic..." I smiled.

"We had just went to lunch....and we were going to see a film next.." She smiled, then walked to Adrian, taking his hand. "Oh Adrian..... I love you... I know we haven't said it yet... but if you can hear me right now...you need to know.." She brushed his forehead with her other hand. "Adrian... If you hear me... Give me a sign..." I saw his hand start twitching. "Adrian?" He squeezed her hand.

"He's going to be okay, Sophie...." I hugged her. "Hey, little bro..." I whispered. "If you haven't kissed her yet, you better get a move on that plan... Don't think I can't hear you talking to your friends.."

"Thanks, Dan..." Sophie smiled at me. "Did Adrian ever tell you how we met?"

"No.. I don't think he did.."

"We met in choir... I was too shy to sing for vocal placement, so Adrian talked our teacher into letting us sing a duet... And I fell in love with him at that very moment..." She smiled softly as her cheeks turned pink. "He hugged me afterwards when I was placed as a soprano, and he was a tenor.. And I felt like I was the only girl in the world."

"Well, Sophie.... I can tell you this..." I knelt down beside her. "You are the only girl in his world.."

"Thanks Dan..." She wiped away a tear. "He's very special to m- What's happening?" The machines started to beep erratically.

"You two will have to wait outside..". A nurse said. "We're going to do everything in our power to help him.."

"What's happening to him?" I started to cry.

"He's going into severe sepsis. Now you both need to go.."

/

"Phil.." I ran to him, bawling. He held me close, his arms around my waist as I cried into his shirt.

"What's going on?" He asked. "Sophie?" He looked back down the corridor to see her standing there, knelt to the floor. She was crying into her hands, in the fetal position.

"It's bad, Phil.." I cried. "It's bad.. Severe sepsis.. He was okay a second ago!"

"Dan... You need to stay strong..." Phil whispered. "For me... For Sophie... and especially for Adrian.."

/

"He's the love of my life..." She cried as Phil and I hugged her. "He can't... He can't die..."