Fifteen

What have I done? Why? Why did I have to do that?

I threw my dad in jail... I took my old boss's position at the law firm, and I took a case that needed to end... in my dad being in jail. I don't deserve to be a lawyer...

He was my only blood family member left..

"Danny? You're starting to worry me..." Phil sat next to me on our bed, softly rubbed my back. "Are you getting sick?"

"I... I threw my dad in jail.." I choked on my words, feeling my heart shatter.

"He was breaking the law.. You were just doing your job..."

"I get that... but he was still my dad.." I sighed. "You still loved your mum.. after she was in prison.. Do I still have to love him?"

"No... And she didn't do anything wrong..." Phil hesitated to speak. "I know this job has been a lot for you..."

"I can't do it anymore..." I covered my eyes. "I can't hurt more people... I already threw a girl in jail, and she said her life was already falling apart... and yet, I was the one who ruined her life..."

"Dan, if you need to quit... I'm here for you.." He pulled me in for a hug. "We could always just be YouTubers..."

"I don't know about my channel..." I sighed.

"What's wrong with it? You'd make much more money, and have your own work schedule..." Phil smiled. "When was the last time you used it?"

"Um... Before you were rescued..." I said. "Why?"

"So you haven't seen your subscriber count? Or your views or comments?"

"No..." Phil got up to get his laptop. When he returned, he had my account pulled up.

danisnotonfire
2.8 million subscribers

"Holy shit..." I said. "Really?"

"You're a true YouTuber.." Phil giggled. "Hazel.. Martyn's girlfriend.. works through a management system for YouTubers, and she got you verified.. You can start making money with your videos.."

"This is crazy..." I giggled. "So... I guess I'm going into work tomorrow...and I'm quitting.."

"I'm proud of you.." Phil wrapped his arms around my neck, kissing my forehead.

Things were finally looking brighter.

/

Five years later...

"Dan?" Phil called. "Signe and Seán are here.." Signe and Seán had planned to come over for a Christmas party, bringing their five year old daughters, Haley and Sam.

"Hold on, dear... I'm getting Sophie and Adrian dressed.." I said, picking my daughter up from her crib. After she was in her Christmas onesie, I put my son in his, and carried them out of the nursery.

/

"Hi Dan!" Haley said.

"Aw! Sophie and Adrian are so cute!" Sam giggled.

"Well, aren't you two getting so big?" I smiled. Adrian squealed. "Geesh, Adrian... No need to show off for our guests... Philly? Where'd you go?"

"We forgot to put out the presents!" He said, carrying several wrapped boxes stacked in his arms. "Oh dear, these are heavy.. Seán?"