Nine

The next morning, Sophie was picked up by her sister, Phil and I had a lazy day. We stayed in our pyjamas as we cuddled on the sofa, drinking our coffee and hot chocolate.

"Wait... Go back.." Phil was skipping through channels until something caught my eye. "Right there... Turn it up.."

"In other news, recent allegations towards Daniel J. Howell, defense attorney at The Old Bailey courthouse in London have been focused towards a relationship between Howell, and the formerly accused Philip M. Lester. As you may know, Lester was accused of murdering ex girlfriend Angelica Riley, and her boyfriend, Christopher Kendall. Charges were dropped due to a Zoë E. Sugg admitting her guilt. Police are still investigating. An anonymous source has given word that Howell had recently been kicked from The Old Bailey courthouse employment, however Mr. Rodgers, CEO, had reinstated him before Sugg was arrested..."

"What does this mean?" Phil asked.

"We have just received word that a man has been arrested for the murder of an Adrian Howell... This man, a former prisoner..."

"No..." I got up, after shutting the television off. I paced back and forth, my hands in my hair, showing my distress.

"Dan?"

"This can't be happening..." I cried.

"Dan... What's going on?"

"That.. That man... That man they just showed a picture of.. That is what's going on!" I raised my voice.

"He's arrested, Dan.." Phil took my hands, trying to calm me down. "He'll be punished.."

"That's my dad..." I took a deep breath. "Sophie told me the guy who hit Adrian was in the waiting room, but when I came out to see you, a man left... He... he left.. My dad knew Adrian wouldn't live..."

"Dan.." Phil teared up, pulling me in for a hug. "What do we do?"

"If he was just arrested... It means court will be in a month. I can get the court date pushed up, so I can make sure that... that lying, good-for-nothing, low-life gets what he deserves.." I said.

/

I went into work that morning whilst Phil stayed at home. When I went inside, my boss called me into his office.

"Howell... I see you didn't bring Lester..."

"Yeah.. He's not an employee, sir.." I said.

"But that never stopped you before.." My boss sat back in his chair. "So, why are you back here?"

"You reinstated me... and I saw the news... I need to have this case..."

"Howell? On a case of murder and arrest? I don't see this happening.."

"That's my little brother, damn it!" I raised my voice, rising to my feet. "I need this case.."

"If you fail me.... You'll never hear the end of it, and neither will I..." He said. "It won't look good to the court that the brother of a defense attorney is making sure their father is getting arrested..."

"What can I do to change that?"

"You'll work alongside me..." He stated. "I'll help you out.."

"Really?"

"Do you want this case, or not?"

"I want it, sir.. I do.."

"Then get any witnesses to the case, and I will get the court date moved to two weeks from today.... Okay?"

"We have a deal.." I shook Mr. Rodgers's hand, then went to my office.

/

"Hey.. Ashley.. Would you be okay with Sophie speaking in front of a jury?" I asked over the phone.