24. Change Of Heart

Thank you so much for your lovely chapter title suggestion.

Athena

My thoughts where stuck in an never ending loop.

Are my dreams real?

What could they possibly mean?

And my good old favourite, why me?

I couldn't even begin to comprehend what Zachary had told me before I heard the heavy footsteps on the stairs, the aggressive assault of heavy rubber on concrete steps.

Closing my eyes I desperately tried to prepare myself for the hate I was sure to see in there eyes, to them I'd betrayed them, but in reality I'd just found another way to survive and I wasn't going to apologies to them for it.

If I was beginning to truly except myself, who were they to make me feel bad?

"Up, I want to talk." Lawrence grunted, each word was short, clipped, precise.

"And here I was thinking you were here to feed me." Zachary's voice came out deeper and stronger than I'd ever heard it, I wanted to say that it scared me, that it repulsed me so much I felt like running away into the shadows, somewhere I knew he'd never find me.

"How did it feel vampire? When I pushed that pipe into your chest? Where you scared? Did it hurt?"

Zachary stayed quite, still sitting with his back against the wall and his eyes closed.

"Hmm, can you not remember, I'd be more than happy to refresh your memory and you can think of it as a gift." The smile that appeared on his face was terrifying, it was almost as if he was the predator and was beginning to hunt down his prey.

The ringing in my ear and the shifting of the air signaled Zachary's movement. "Those are big words for a man so weak, come have another go." He lifted this arms up revealing his chest. "I dare you."

Lawrence looked all to happy to help Zachary with his death wish as he reached in to his pocket to rummage around for the key.

"Lawrence I think we have more pressing matters at hand." Jude's voice was completely void of all emotion, as if he'd managed to reach deep inside and flip that imaginary switch that would pain a thing of the past.

And after what I'd done to him I sort of hoped he had.

"You're right, it can wait till later but for now we have some questions which need to be answered." Lawrence pulled a chair out from the shadows, placing it roughly two feet from the cage, at a safe distance.

"What do you want to know?"

All eyes flew to stare at me, red, blue and green, they all stared as if they'd forgotten I was even standing their, for some of them I think they wish I wasn't.

"Nothing from you. " His lips pulled up as he snarled at me. "I want him to answer the questions."

Silence was all that met his words, Zachary sat as still as ever with his eyes still closed and his face passive.

"No?"

Silence.

"Have it you're way then."

He stood up from his chair, reaching into his pocket. "You see I had this thought, why would you risk coming to The Orphanage just to rescue poor little Athena. It seemed strange to me as vampires are notoriously known for being selfish bastards."

Lawrence walked closer to the door, pulling the keys out from his pocket as Jude took a stance by the door, his aim fixed on Zachary.

"But then I remembered something I read,  one fault of your superior species, you can only change members of your own sex, that is unless that person is your mate."