Her

Please vote and comment!

Alex's POV:

It's 10 AM, and I'm up. As usual, Dad's left for work, I wonder what's up. I haven't seen him for a few days now, and I went to bed and 1 in the morning last night. That's Martin's fault; ever since my parents put me in a school with him, he's been chatting to me non-stop about school, nice people, mean people, etc.

That's a pain.

"Morning, Mom! Can I go get the BMX, I wanna go burn some calories." I project my voice to the kitchen, and the immediate reply is "Sure darling, but grab your helmet and an orange on your way out: you need to stay hydrated!" She's worried about you Alex, but she wants you to have fun.

Way to kill the mood, Mom. Also, way to creep me out, powers.

I head out with everything Mom made me take and call Martin and the twins. Haven't seen them in a while, I think they've gone somewhere. I text Ethan, this is how it goes.

A- sup bro?
E- Just chilling, hows school?
A- martins obsessed with it.
E- ikr he can be wrd that way. were in campbell, checking up on my uncle.
A- k bye i gtg
E- bye *brofist*

And Martin calls. Hoo, boy, this is gonna be annoying. "Hey, Alex! I've got something to tell you. You're lonely and that's a fact." Ouch, when your best friend says that. It just hurts.

"So there's this girl called Aubrey and she's really smart, pretty and she's a good friend of mine. You guys should totally hang, you'd be a great couple..." he drones on and on, and then I interject. "WHY? You're probably not telling this to me only, how many times have you told Aubrey about me?!" 

Martin has a little problem. He sticks his nose- scratch that- his head in everyone's business. To change this mundane and absolutely useless topic, I ask, "I'm heading to the park, wanna tag along?"

"No, I gotta finish this History assignment about WW2, it's fricking boring, lame and, umm, useless, rolled into one." I'm waiting for something, and I know for a fact that it's gonna come out of his piehole. "Our new school gives us way too much homework. Remember that." 

"Yes, I heard the first million times, YOU UTTER IDIOT!" I yell at him in a gruff & croaky voice. That makes me sound like a frog with strep throat.

Oh well, at least the skatepark's going to be empty, I pray to myself. Nope, not happening. There's a huge group of the "California" girls: blonde hair, blue eyes, tan, you get the picture. So if I make a fool out of myself, I'm pretty much screwed. 

Then again, if I'm on point with my tricks, I might just impress them. I'm thinking of a trick that I created back in New York, it's a combination of a slider and a bunny hop. I called it the 360 slider, and it looks really savage.

++TIMESKIP++

Wow, that session was tiring. I need a drink. I head over to the bar, which is occupied by a girl and a 35-year old fat guy who looked like he invented the "What Have I Done With My Life" meme. "I'd like a Coke please." He grunts in acceptance and passes me a freezing can. 

The group of girls left almost immediately after I started, so now I'm not under pressure to look good. Combining a tailwhip with a bunny hop into a manual after landing would look sick. I'm wrapped up in my own thoughts, so I don't pay attention as I walk out of the bar. Then I trip and fall towards a girl. You utter klutz. I hit her Coke can, and it almost falls on her, but my augmented motor skills save it before it spills on her.

For the first time in forever, my powers are actually useful.

"I'm really sorry, and I hope nothing fell on you. Are you okay? I'm Hart Alex- I mean Alex Hart. I live in L.A." Why am I stammering like this? "It's okay, you tripped over that plank",  she points at a wooden plank near the exit. "And thanks for saving the spill." She smiles at me.

I look at her, and my power judges what she's feeling or thinking right now. She's happy and not at all mad. Also, she doesn't know if she has a crush on you or not. Nor do I. I may have one on her. Her smile just lit up my world, and that's a sign of feelings for someone, right?

This is why I really hate my power. It makes me overcomplicate things.

Suddenly I realise that we're both staring at each other and that's extremely weird. I break the silence by assertively saying, "See you around?" She nods yes and I grab my Coke and BMX and cycle home, thinking about her.