Thirteen

"Are you talking to me yet?"

I look up from my laptop and see Mandy standing in front of my table at the university library.

"Who said I wasn't talking to you?" I respond as I resume browsing on my laptop.

"Oh come on Jay, you barely said any word to me last night when you came back home and you left before I even woke up this morning," She says but I stay silent, keeping my eyes on the screen in front of me because I don't know what to say to her. "Hello?" She exclaims earning herself a scold from the librarian.

"I'm busy Mandy we'll talk about it later"

"Busy with what?"

"Writing a paper" Playing chess "What the hell!" I yell and pull my fingers from the keyboard just as she slams my laptop shut.

"I want to talk to you!"

"Well you didn't have to cut off my fingers!"

"Ladies this is a library. Take it outside" The librarian stops our bickering.

I turn back to the desk and start packing my stuff. "I'm not mad at you Mandy; I just don't have anything to say. I told you already, do whatever you want just don't do it in our home." She looks down when I look back at her "Honestly Em, what's happening to you? You've been shutting me out for weeks. All this is not the work of my best friend. When you find her again tell her to come talk to me because I'm worried." I grab my things and leave after I say what I've been harboring since before Christmas.

When I get there I see Mason leaning on his car waiting with his back turned to me. "Finally I haven't seen you all day. Where have you been? I called and looked for you at lunch!" I start my rant before reaching him but when I do, I almost choke on the loud gasp leaving my lips. "Mason, what the hell happened to you?" I grab his face to exam the enormous shiner on the side of his face. I press on it lightly to see if it hurts, but he doesn't even flinch. "Who did this Mason?!" His silence suffocates me so I try to read it in his eyes. When he avoids my stare, it hits me like a red-eyed bull. "You went after Fin didn't you?" His eyes find mine when he hears his name. "Oh my God Mason" I push him and grab my hair furious with them both. "How could you do something so stupid? What were you thinking!" He stays silent "Answer me dammit it" I demand having had enough of everyone's bullshit, but yet again he stays silent. I huff out a breath of air and turn my back on him, beginning my long walk to the apartment.

Stupid Mason

Stupid Fin

Stupid University full of drama and psychopaths

I hear the familiar sound of the Rover's engine approaching. "Great," I say to myself.

Mason drives next to me slowly "Get in the car Mia"

"Well would you look at that! He speaks!" I mock him as I continue walking.

"Get in the car and we'll talk"

"Are you sure you're even capable of talking? I thought your specialty is punching people and driving me insane!"

"Get in the car please"

"Answer my question; what were you thinking?"

He sighs "I was thinking... My girlfriend has been on a constant lookout for surprises from that dickhead for weeks and it was time I put a stop to it." He says calmly

"Your girlfriend can take care of it herself!" I yell well aware that he's using a very quiet tone.

"She can do that if I'm ever out of her life but as long as I'm here, Fin will not come near you and I will make sure of that" He responds keeping the calm approach he started with