Nine

The next few days pass by quietly. Mason doesn't address the issue again and I am grateful for that. I am also grateful for his midnight ice-cream and coffee runs during finals week. I can't believe he still likes me after witnessing a few of Mandy and my hysteria over our exams at three am.

The boy doesn't scare easy, of that I am sure.

"Yes, Travis I'm fine I promise." I sigh over my overprotective brother and continue my stroll home from the grocery store. "No, I don't want you to come up here! I told you I'm fine. He only talked to me once and Kyle didn't give him a chance to anyway." I say after listening to his lecture over keeping myself safe from the 'dick head'. "I promise you that I'm safe. Besides finals are almost over and I'll be home for a visit before you can say 'Fin's a psychopath'." That last part earns me a longer lecture but I interrupt him before it goes on forever "Alright I've always been bad at telling jokes. Just shut up and kiss mum and dad for me." I hang up on him.

When I reach the parking lot I am dragged in before I know it. "Mandy let go! What are you doing?"

"Hush stay down" She's kneeling under the window holding me down.

"Is the stress getting to your head? What are you doing?" I try to get up but she's reluctant to let go. The chips I just bought probably look like bird food by now.

"Stay down or he'll see you!"

"Who?"

"Clark"

"My Clark? I mean Mason?" What is she on about?

"Yes, how many other Clarks do you know?"

"What about him?" I ask choosing to ignore her snarky remark.

"He's been at the hair salon across the street for an hour"

"Did you suffer a head injury while I was gone? Why would Mason be across the street?"

"Shit he's out!" She panics.

I look out the window to see what she's looking at. Hold the phones! What is he doing at Kitten's hair salon hugging some girl? Wait I remember that girl, she's the one I saw clinging on to him on campus the other day.

I stand up and Mandy lets me this time when she sees my eyes bulge out of my face. I stare at them for a few minutes trying to perfect my skill at reading lips.

Conclusion: I suck at it.

I walk to the door with the bag of chips still in my hand and stand in the parking lot.

After the girl walks back in to Kitten's, Mason turns around. His eyes widen when he sees me but he quickly recovers and smiles.

I'm going to wipe that smile off your face, Mason Clark!

He crosses the street and walks towards me with open arms.

The oblivious idiot

"Hey, baby!" Shit, don't give in Jay. "I missed you" He hugs me but I keep my hands to myself.

"How was your da-HEY!" He backs away when I hit him with the bag of chips "What was that for?"

"You think you can come by and act normal!" I exclaim.

He tilts his head and farrows his eyebrows. He does that sometimes when he needs a second to understand my logic.

"How should I have acte-HEY!" I hit him again "Stop that!"

"You shouldn't have come here in the first place after being with what's her face," I think I see a light bulb shine in his head or is it just the blond hair?