Chapter 1: Secrets

Leo swung the hammer, bringing it down hard on the shattered sword.  The flames roared, heating it to its very core.  Finally, the sword was fixed.

Leo sighed and put the sword aside.  He would give it back to Hazel later.  He sat on a bench and leaned against the wall.  His heart pounded, and he felt the heat within rear its head. 

Leo gritted his teeth.  The wolf always wanted out, especially when his friends where being attacked.  He had kept it under control throughout the quest, and stayed away from the arena so that his superhuman (superdemi-god?) abilities stayed hidden.

He hadn't even done a part-shift since Teresa beat him for being a freak.  He had kept it under control, and parted ways with one of his triggers...

A sharp knock sounded on the door to Bunker Nine, jerking Leo out of his thoughts.

"Leo?  Come on, we miss you!". It was Calypso, Leo's girlfriend.  She was awesome.  They had been together for over a year, since that whole Oracle mess with Apollo last summer.  Apollo was a god again, thank goodness, and things were as normal as you could get.  Cue the end-of-the-world type drama!

"Fine!  Coming!" Leo called.  He stood and exited the bunker, walking with Calypso to the mess hall.  They met up with the rest of the seven, plus Nico and Will.  They all went up near Half Blood Hill, where Leo vehemently refused to spar.

"Come on, Leo!  You need to work on your swordsmanship!" Percy pleaded.

"No.  I don't want to end up in the infirmary thanks to your overestimation of my abilities!" Leo protested. Or I don't want to send you to the infirmary thanks to my thoughtlessness, he thought to himself.

Suddenly, a roar echoed down the hill.  Leo turned and saw something that shook him to his very bones.  It wasn't the three empousai on the hill.  They were quickly cut down by Clarisse.  It was who the were chasing.  She was a slightly short latina girl, with just-past-shoulder-length curly hair.  Her eyes were a warm brown, and her ears were elven.  As she skidded to a stop, they could see the mischief lighting her eyes.

His twin sister, Alma Valdez, had come to camp.