Chapter 16: Shift

Nico POV

Leo's mom had a tattoo.  I had to admit, I was not expecting that.

She was very nice, and a werewolf.  That explains where they got it.  She was clever, and a legacy.

Yep, it was official.  Esperanza was the best mother a crush could have.

That's right.  I said it.  I like Leo.  I think his female relations can sense it.  The wolves, too.  I find that bit slightly irksome.

The wolves can also smell fear.

That could go both ways.

I was walking along through the forest, contemplating all this, when a stick broke.  I tensed.

My friends were smarter than that.

They were also asleep.

I crept forward carefully, trying not to make noise.  Suddenly, a shape attacked.  A shade.

I staggered as it slashed, but it was too fast.  I crumpled, and saw the shade loom over me.  Than, a dog slammed into it.  Several toppings sounds later, a bloody Alma checked my pulse.  I blacked out.

Alma POV

I called for the wolves.  As I waited, I did my best to stitch up Nico, but he was dying.  He had lost so much blood, he was practically laying in a pool of it.

The others arrived, and Leo shifted promptly.  His was a look of distraught anguish, and he began to plead to anyone who listened for his love to be alright.

We couldn't save him.  He would die.

The wolves looked at each other, and took up a circle around Nico.  Leo and I fell silent.

They tilted their heads up and began to sing.  As they sang, Nico changed.  It was difficult to see until it was over.  Suddenly, there lay a peacefully sleeping black wolf.

Leo shifted so fast he was a blur.  I didn't need to be a wolf to know what he was thinking.

Niconiconiconiconiconico-well you get the idea.

Leo licked Nico's face repeatedly, causing Nico to wake with a start.  He looked around, seeming to be very confused.  His eyes once again found Leo, and he reached out to knuzzle him.

I couldn't really think of a sweeter ending.