XIX. A Friend & The Note

LEFT ALONE, I QUICKLY FELL into an uneasy doze where, in my dreams, various objects around the room seemed to rear up to attack me. The couch, especially, seemed alive. It was approaching steadily, and a voice came from it's cushions.

"Harmony Sanders..."

I was startled awake by a cold hand on my shoulder. A thin man in a white coat peered down at me through thick glasses, which appeared to be a trend around here. A nurse stood by his side with a cart.

"Hello, there. Harmony Sanders, is it?"

I nodded, quietly.

"Well, Miss Sanders, we're going to check your vitals and see how you're doing. Your color looks better, have you been eating or drinking since you woke up?"

"No, sir." I held out my arm, and the nurse slipped a blood pressure cuff on.

"Well, I think you should have something, if you can manage it. Definitely be drinking lots of fluids, yes?"

"Yes." I offered my finger for a weird clampy-thing that the nurse clamped on it.

"How would you rate your pain level?"

"Uh. One, I guess."

"There's a dialer over there of you need to page someone." The nurse spoke up. "You can order some food."

The doctor squinted at me. "We may order another x-ray. Her lungs sound healthy, but
Near-drowning can case lung complications, such as pneumonia and acute respiratory stress syndrome. There are long-term effects too, but it's not our job to deal with those."

I winced, unhappy with the idea of complications.

The nurse gave me a reassuring smile. "...Everything looks good. Excellent, in fact. So I think you just need some rest and food."

The doctor glanced sideways at her, clearly unhappy with being interrupted. "Yes, that was what I was going to say. Now, make sure to get up and get some exercise. I know you teenagers, if left to yourself, you'll spend the whole day in bed."

It was my turn to be irritated. "Okay." Like he knows anything about what I've been doing.

The nurse frowned. "If all goes well, Miss Harmony, we should have you out of here and ready to go home by the end of the day."

"M'kay." I nodded quietly, not offering up the fact that I no longer had a home to go back to. Then, I added, "Thank you."

"You're most welcome, young lady."

I flopped back into bed with an exhausted sigh once they had left, and closed my eyes again. I didn't want to fall asleep--the dreams I had been having were still too close to my mind, and I was afraid that they would just continue from where I left them if I did.

"Flowers for you!" A cheerful voice rang through my room as Josephine pushed her cart in. She wore the same cheerful smile as earlier today, but now her hair was up in a bun, and her stethoscope was entangled with her earbuds.

I brought my hand up for a wave, and she slapped it in an enthusiastic high five. I managed a smile.

"I bet they're from Robin." She continued, pulling a vase of yellow tulips from her cart. A white envelope with my name written in sharp, boyish handwriting was attached to it. A smile tugged at my lips at the sight of it, but Josephine looked a little less pleased.

"Yellow." Josephine frowned. "...they represent sunny and cheerful thoughts--get-well wishes--but in the old days, they were actually a symbol of hopeless love."