XXI. Homeword Bound & Farewells

MY MOTHER WAS INCREDIBLY happy to see me. She wrapped her long, slim arms around me and squeezed me half to death.

"We were so worried for you," she told me, unknowingly echoing what Dad had said just a few minutes ago. "I think you gave me a gray hair." Teasing, she lifted up a strand of platinum hair. "Yep, definitely gray."

I scoffed and hugged her back, a big smile on her face.

"We're ready to go," Dad told her, disengaging Andy from his leg. "Have all your things?"

She nodded. "Just let me get out of this nightmare gown." We shared a glance of horror. "Harm needs clothes too."

"Well, she's in luck. I picked some up at the gift shop in this building." He grimaced. "The prices were outlandish. Remind me to bring a change of clothes next time we explosively land in an alternate universe."

I nodded in mock seriousness. Thank the stars I had parents who could take things in stride and avoid mental breakdowns when something crazy happened, like this.

Dad handed me a set of clothes and shooed me into the bathroom. I eyed them warily, noting the knee-length skirt was entirely unfit for action (being composed of layers of golden-yellow silk. Still, it was a pretty thing). The shoes were likewise, brown flats edged in blue lacework. The shirt passed muster--a mouth-wateringly gorgeous chocolate jacket top, with little yellow buttons that reminded me of candy.

Worth the price. Definitely.

I glanced in the mirror, and noted with amusement that the girl that looked back at me was almost a stranger. All outward appearances were the same, though her curly hair was a mess, again, and there was a light mystery bruise on her temple. But now, there was a quiet dignity in her eyes, and she carried herself a little straighter. There was a small, weary smile playing at the corners of her mouth that spoke of many untold adventures. It was hard to believe she was only thirteen.

In the next instant, the changes were completely lost as I pumped one fist in the air in an expression of elated glee. "Yes! I'm finally looking mature! I grew up a little!"

"No you didn't," Roger's muffled voice came from under the door.

I squeaked in surprise and opened the door. "Roger! It's not nice to spy on people."

My father looked up. "Ready to go?"

I nodded. "Go where? It's not exactly like we can walk home from here."

"The police can take care of it, actually. They have that Chronos guy behind bars, and they've been making his return all the things he stole from other dimensions--and as a bonus, the unsuspecting people that came with them. They wanted us to return a week ago, but we didn't have our children with us, so we refused. Now, however..."

"We're all back together again." My mother patted me on the head and picked up Andy like he was three. "Let's go."

Our small company left the hospital and took a hop, skip, and a jump across the street to the Police Station. Chronos stood in a back room, a teen with a black jacket, scowl that could peel paint off the walls, and...eyeliner. He was kind of a far cry from the caped super villain I had imagined, except for the thick gray gauntlets on his wrists that pulsed with a blue-green light.

A tall, gray haired man and two police officers stood beside him. The man stepped forward to shake Dad's hand.

"Sir, thank you for your cooperation. Now, you understand this is to be completely under wraps. You'll be transported to the exact same moment you left, so nobody will know you were gone. Just carry on as usual, and this should be the last time you see us."

Dad nodded. The man turned to Chronos, dark moustache twitching in irritation. "Go ahead, Jasper. Do it."

"I've been doing this all day!" Punk kid whined. "Do you know how much energy it takes? 'Jasper, open the portal.' 'Jasper, closes the portal.' over and over and over! I'm tired!"

The man, who I now recognized as Commissioner Gordon, one of Gotham's finest, shook his head darkly. "You had plenty of energy when you were running around, sticking your nose into other peoples' dimensions and grabbing Mona Lisas. We'll figure out a way to take them off of you, but until then you'll have to cooperate."

Jasper sighed again, heavily. "Fine." He pointed a hand at the nearby wall, and suddenly it wasn't a wall anymore. It was a translucent sheet of blue energy that crackled at the edges.

"Wow..." Roger stared, transfixed.

Commission Gordon motioned us and our few bags toward the portal. Dad grabbed Roger, who couldn't tear his eyes away from the wall of pulsating energy, and Mom took Andy's hand.

This is it. No regrets, no farewells. I told myself firmly. Never look back.

We all stepped toward the blue light in one accord. Dad stepped through first, boldly. Roger followed hesitantly. Then Mom and Andy stepped through.

Despite of my determination to keep my eyes on the portal, I looked back. Gordon and the police officers stood on either side of Jasper, who was looking a little pale. They weren't the ones I wanted to see.

Reluctantly, I took a deep breath and walked through, feeling incredibly loss.

The world spun, dipped, and slowly began to rearrange itself into a new configuration. It was like being on a rollercoaster that stayed in one spot no matter how fast you went. Nothing around me was moving except to rearrage itself into something different, while I flew through the world at the speed of light. It was incredibly familiar.

I opened my eyes with a jolt.

Comfortable, downy quilt covered in blue and purple patterns. Baby blue walls. A set of purple shelves set against the wall, filled with knickknacks, figurines, and dozens and dozens of comic books. Morning sunlight and the sound of soft rain, coming through an open window and fluttering golden curtains. A Bat-signal lamp. A Robin rug.

I was back in my room.

"HARM!" Roger came barreling into my room. "We're back!!"

I glanced at the clock on my bedstand.

6:36 am, August 10th.

It was the morning of the Incident.