Chapter 16

After a half hour of waiting for Rick to hear the phone again we decided to head back. We walked through the halls, our footsteps bouncing off the walls. Rick told me we should wait to tell the group about phone. Said we shouldn't get their hopes up.

Rick seemed nervous, almost scared. I would ask him what's wrong but giving the fact his wife just died, that's kind of a stupid question.

We made it to the door way of C blocks eating area, Rick and I gave each other a short nod before making our selves known.

"Everybody OK?" Rick asked as he opened the gate. Everyone looked up and seemed relieved to see us. They were eating oatmeal out of plastic bowls and sitting around the room.

Daryl set him bowl down next to him, he was sitting on the steps, and stood up. He quickly walked over to me and bare hugged me. I giggled and wrapped my arms around him.

"Yeah we are." I hear Maggie answer Rick question.

Daryl pulled back from the hug, he proceeded to check me over for injuries. Looked at my face, neck, and arms before I stopped him.

"I'm alright." I whispered, he still tried to look me over so I grabbed his face and made him look at me.

"Daryl, I'm fine." I said. He just looked at me for a moment then nodded. I smiled and quickly kissed his cheek.

"What about you Rick?" Hershel asked.

Rick made his way to his son, who was seated between Hershel and Glenn. As far as I can tell Carl hasn't touched his food.

"I cleared out the boiler block." Rick said, not really answering Hershel's question.

"How many were there?" Daryl asked, looking between Rick and I.

"I don't know. A dozen, maybe two." Rick said, looking at me for confirmation. I nodded and he looked back at Daryl.

"We have to get back. Just wanted to check on Carl." Rick said quickly, patting Carl on the back.

"Rick, we can handle taking out the body's." Glenn jumped up, keeping his distance this time.

"You don't have to."

"No I do. April said she'll help." Rick bit back and walked over to Daryl and I.

"Everyone have a gun and knife?" Rick asked Daryl.

"Yeah, we're running low on ammo though." He answered, causing me to sigh.

"Maggie and me were planning on making a run this afternoon." Glenn said, still keeping his distance. "Gonna look for bullets and formula."

"Cleared out the generator room. Axel's there trying to fix it in case of emergency." Daryl said. I'm trying to process the information being thrown.

"We're gonna sweep the lower levels as well."

"Good." Rick said before taping my and tilting his head, saying we should go.

"I'll catch up, I promise." I said. Rick looked at me for a moment then nodded and walked on.

"Rick!" Hershel yelled but Rick was gone. I sighed and scratched my head. Everyone looked and me and I sighed again.

"He's not doing so well." I said looking at everyone. That's when I noticed.

"Where's Carol?" I asked and everyone one looked down.

"No." I whispered, already feeling the tears coming on.

"We found her head wrap." Daryl said backing away and shaking his head.

"No." I said again, quickly wiping the tears that fell. I tried to pull myself together so I could inform the group of Rick's mental state. Then I thought about how Rick would react if I told everybody about the phone. He told me he didn't want people to know and if I told them he would never trust me again, even sane.

"I need to get back to Rick." I whispered, walking away from Daryl and going for the door.

I turned around and looked at Carl, his bowl still full of food. I sighed and made my way to the boy. I knelt down next to him and he looked at me.

"You need to eat, keep your strength." I told him. He sighed and took a bite of the now cold oatmeal. I smile and ruffled his hair, standing up and looking at Beth, who held the baby girl.

"She got a name?" I asked, everyone one smiled and laughed. They all looked at Daryl and glared at everyone.

"I call her Lil Ass-Kicker." Daryl said, I smiled big and giggled.

"Better than nothing." I said making everyone laugh again.

The laughter quieted down and I remember the man hearing phone's ring. I said goodbye, and left. Not before Hershel gave me a questioning look and I gave a small shrug.

If I'm being honest, I don't know what's going on, but it sure is scaring me.

-----------------------------//----------------------------

Sorry this took so long! The holidays are a bitch and I'm sick!

But here it is! A chapter that I think is pretty good!

Hope you enjoyed it!

Please vote & comment!

~Kenna