Chapter 26

I grabbed the box of bullets and put the riffle on my back. I grabbed my machete and ran down the stairs of the guard tower taking a deep breath and poked my head out of the door. There's no walkers right by me but there in my path.

I quietly slipped out and quickly ran towards the gate were the others are. I heard running behind me and turned my head to see Rick, Daryl and a guy. I'm guessing he's Merle. I sighed and looked back in front of me.

I killed a walker as I ran by it, not stopping to do it. I was about to kill another when an arrow went through its head. I didn't look back just kept running till we finally made it to the others. They quickly opened the gate for us and I about collapsed once in.

It was quiet other than the walkers, no one talking about what happened or that Daryl was back. Merle though, Glenn had something to say.

"Why the fuck are you here?" He yelled, walking up to Merle who just laughed. Daryl stood in Glenn's way, and Rick told Glenn to back off. He huffed in frustration and stormed off Maggie not following like I thought she would.

I stood up and looked at Daryl who was already watching me. He took a step forward and I took a step back. He stopped and looked at me with sad eyes, trying to apologize without actually saying it.

"You must be April, wearing Daryl's vest and all. I've heard all about you." Merle said and I glanced at him.

"You must be Merle, being an asshole and all. I've heard about you." I mocked and he chuckled.

"You did good baby brother." He said and Daryl shoved him saying 'stop'.

I turned to walk inside, done with the conversation and still shaking from the fact I took a man's life about five minutes ago.

"April." I heard Daryl say and I stopped but didn't turn to look at him. He didn't say anything making me chuckle.

I turned around and looked at him before slipping his vest off and dropping it on the ground. I shook my head and I turned, walking away with out him trying to stop me.

~*~

"We're not leaving." Rick said, checking the riffle I had to see just how many bullets we have. Not much let me tell you.

"We can't stay here." Hershel said as he sat down on the steps up to the top cells in the cell block. We are currently discussing what happened yesterday. It's not a very fun conversation.

"What if there's another sniper? A wood pallet won't stop one of those rounds." Maggie asked.

"We can't even go outside." Beth sighed as she held Judith.

"Not in the daylight." Carol tried to reason.

"Rick says we're not running, we're not running." Glenn hissed angrily at everyone. I'm staying quiet cause I might scream if I open my mouth.

Daryl and his brother have been here all night. Daryl has been ignoring me, well I've been ignoring him so I might not see if he tries to talk to me. Merle has been trying to talk to me, apologize for pulling Daryl away. I've ignored him as well. I moved into a cell on the bottom floor even.

"No, better to live like rats." Merle piped in from outside the cell block. We thought best to keep him out there.

"You got a better idea?" Rick said a little louder so Merle could hear him.

"Yeah, we should have slid out of here last night and lived to fight another day. But we lost that window, didn't we? I'm sure he's got scouts on every road out of this place by now." Merle said waving his one arm around.

"We ain't scared of that prick." Daryl said, walking the floor above.

"Y'all should be. That truck through the fence thing, that was just him ringing the doorbell." Merle went on about the fact he has numbers and we don't. I quit listening to be honest, my head is just not here right now.

I fucking killed a man.

Yes he was shooting at me and my family, but I still feel bad. He might of had a family for Christ sake and now they lost him because of me. My stomach hurts now.

"Let's put him in another cell block." I heard Maggie say and I raised an eyebrow. I missed him being an ass I guess.

"No. He's got a point." Daryl grunted, defending his brother once more.

"This is all you. YOU started this!" Maggie yelled at Merle who just rolled his eyes.

"What's the difference who's fault it is? What do we do?" Beth said walking to stand behind her dad.

"I said we should leave. Now Axel's dead." Hershel said and I looked down. The people living here before us, are all dead.

"We can't just sit here."

Rick started walking away after Hershel said we should leave again. Hershel went to get up but I put my head out to stop him.

"Rick Grimes." I yelled and he stopped but didn't look at me.

"Is it still not a democracy? If so then you need to get your ass back here and tell us what the plan is." I said, walking up to him and he finally turned around.

"I get your upset. We all do. But right now we need you to get your head out of your ass and lead." I whispered and he stared at me for a moment before walking away.

"You tried." I heard Daryl say and I looked up at him.

"Shut up."

---------------------------//------------------------------

So April's not happy.

Hope you liked it!!!

Please vote & comment!!!!

~Kenna