CH NINE

"Heya Death old buddy! You look as young as ever!" I shot him a withering look which he ignored with a tilt of his head.

Hermes was known for being the most mischievous and snarky god, playing tricks and pranks on those who deserve them as well as frequently stealing things from others, causing rifts between many gods.

I didn't like Hermes but I couldn't help but admire his tenacity and recklessness. If not the god of thieves, the god of stupidity would be a better title.

"Hermes. What game are you playing? What do you have to do with Ursula?" I took a protective stance, pushing Ursula behind me.

"Hermes? A god..." Ursula muttered, her voice laced with disbelief as she peeked out from behind me.

"Oh hello there my old playmate! Didn't expect you here." Hermes jokingly laughed.

"You're a god?" She looked at Hermes with widened eyes.

"Always was. You just didn't notice it with my fantastic deceptive abilities!" He praised himself with a hearty chuckle.

"Hermes, what game are you playing?" I repeated in a bellowing voice, thundering with annoyance.

"Death old pal, I'm not playing a game. Although, it would be fun to see your feathers so ruffled. I have strict orders to look out for your little friend there and keep an eye on her." Hermes yawned.

"Who gave you the orders?"

"Sorry Deathie! I'm not allowed to say, the boss would kill me!" Hermes mimed a finger swiping across his neck and made a choking sound.

"WHO'S YOUR BOSS!" I felt my eyes glow and my voice echo in a gravely voice, shadows illuminating on the walls.

"Dearest Death, can't you see that you're frightening the poor girl?" He motioned to Ursula who looked terrified with her wide eyes and shaking hands. She looked at me as if I was some sort of beast or monster.

I calmed myself down at the thought and blinked a couple of times to blink away the light that were threatening to overflow. I knew that I could be a picture of nightmares if I wanted to, I had to sometimes, I was the deity of darkness and death not the god of rainbows and happiness.

"I'm sorry for getting carried away." I apologised stiffly as she nodded.

"Now, Hermes, you will tell me-" I turned back to find out that Hermes had disappeared.

He certainly lived up to his title, that was for sure and once I find his boss, I will make sure to roast both of their heads over hell fire. You can't run from Death.