CH SIXTEEN

The reactions were varied. On Hades's side, there were whoops of laughter and wicked smiles. Ursula was rendered speechless except for the occasional muffle and me? I was just staring at Hades, emotions flittering past my mind, I could identify some of them to be anger, confusion and surprise.

"Why choose some random girl off the streets to be your heir? You have Persephone." I retorted.

"My..dear wife isn't exactly excited about the arrangement with her being here and she isn't exactly easily persuaded." Hades muttered.

"Persephone doesn't want to have sex with you does she?" I felt a tightening at my neck at my words as I gasped for air.

"Don't say things you don't understand, little brother." Hades jeered before removing the gag away from Ursula.

"Well my dear, what do you think of your new home? Recently refurbished just for you. I even had fire pits implemented for the sake of trends." Hades's smile seemed like one of a sly cat waiting to pounce on a mouse.

"What...I...huh?" Ursula could barely form words with her mouth opening and closing like a fish gasping for oxygen.

"Hush now. Let me finish my story." Hades said distractedly.

"So, there I was, handsome as always. I found a lady that was amiable and of tolerable beauty and brought her to bed. Fast forward a couple of months and she gave birth to a baby girl. Not the heir I expected but beggars can't exactly be choosers and so I hired some god to keep an eye on you to make sure you grew up healthy and well-"

"Well?! Are you kidding me! I grew up in an orphanage!" Ursula interrupted with a cry.

"Need I remind you that I made sure you were never hurt. That's a better deal than Thanatos here ever got." He motioned to me as Ursula kept her glare on Hades.

"I grew up without my parents! I didn't ask to be the baby of some death god!" Ursula's pleas were heart wrenching but I couldn't do anything with me being bound to the chair.

"Too bad because that's what you are and if you stop being a whiny bitch about it, you might actually grow to like being the princess of the Underworld. Perks of it are free boat rides and unlimited supply of souls to consume." Ursula's eyes widened at the last few words.

"C-consume?" She stuttered.

"Yes, what did you think we eat? Mortal food? Please don't be so daft. Now, let me continue. I waited for years until you were of age and then I arranged a little 'accident' for you so you could join me in the afterlife. I didn't expect my dear brother to appear of course, he had vowed to stay away from my affairs but I may or may not have hoped that he might appear. I'm all for a family reunion." Hades said with the spreading of his arms.

"So here we are! Father, daughter and uncle. I would get us a congratulatory cake but I'm afraid that we're all out of icing and I was never one for sweets. The sickly taste of desserts are truly an abomination to mankind." Hades gagged.

"Lord Hades, Persephone has escaped." A servant entered the room in a frantic run and blurted out the news as Hades massaged his temples.

"Why did I choose the most troublesome woman to marry. I'll be back." Hades disappeared as I relaxed in the seat without Hades's grip on me.

"Is he-what just...I-I.." Ursula spluttered as I slumped into the seat beside her, nursing my wounds.

"He's my...father." Ursula's tone was disbelieving.

"No, I wouldn't use that word. He is no one's father, he is only a creator. To say he has the love of a father is to say that a penguin can fly. Both are unnatural and unlikely to happen." I mused.

"How are we going to get out of here?"

"We don't. Hades has made this castle impenetrable and impossible to escape from. I had sworn not to return for I knew that I would be trapped but here I am, a caged bird yet again." I closed my eyes.

"You can't just give up! He's going to make us stay here forever! We can escape now while he's gone!" Ursula cried.

"Don't bother, many have tried and failed. There's no hope. The only thing we can do is hope that the sweet relief of death can bring us to our graves."