Chapter 11

For once my alarm didn’t wake me up. It was the sun’s blinding rays entering through the small open spaces between the drapes. I stretched and yawned in the warm blankets. Oh how I love weekends. I got ready and did my chores. I had a complete breakfast. I told my parents I was taking a walk. I put on my earphones and turned my iPod.

I walked almost everywhere. I went to the park and walked. I sat on one of those tables in the park. I relaxed for a while. This is what I needed for the weekend. No worries, school, and indecisive boys. Here we go again. Why is it that he’s always on my mind? I need an escape. I watched people. Everyone had someone to talk to and a smile on their faces.

 I put away my iPod and went to the playground part. I stopped and saw Jake with a little girl. She looked about 7 years old and had the same hair color as him. I watched him play with her and kept my distance. He hadn’t seen me yet. They way he gave her everything and smiled at her made me want to aw at that.

He looked so sweet and tender that you would have never thought he’s a player, heartbreaker, and jerk. He should show this side more often. Maybe it’s a guy thing. After a while he saw me and stopped playing. He told something to the little girl and she nodded and kept playing. He walked towards me. Oh crap. Should I leave? Hold on. What the hell? Why should I leave? I’m not making sense. I feel really stupid.

“Hey”, Jake said.

“Hey. Is she your sister?” I said.

“Yeah, I had to take her out to play. I can’t really refuse her anything”, Jake said.

I smiled. He sounded like a great brother.

“What’s her name?” I said.

“Ashley. She’s 8 years old”, Jake said.

I guess I was close. My guess was 7 years old.

“She’s adorable”, I said.

“You say that because you don’t know her well enough”, Jake said chuckling.

“You’re probably lying”, I said.

“Yeah, I kind of am. She’s a pretty good kid”, Jake said staring back at Ashley.

“So it’s Steve, you, and Ashley?” I said.

“Yeah. What about you?” Jake asked.

“It’s me, then Ben”, I said.

“You’re lucky you got stuck with one but I wouldn’t trade them for anything in the world”, Jake said.

I smiled at him. This Jake is a really good person. I wonder why he is a player and a heartbreaker.

“Do you want to meet her?” he said.

“Sure”, I said.