Chapter 15

I slowly walked into my house. What was that about? My mom was talking on the phone with one of her friends and my dad was at work. I ruffled Ben's hair when I saw him texting on the couch.

"Hey ugly", I said.

"Shut up", he said annoyed, not looking away from his phone.

"Well Mr. grumpy, are you lost? Do you want me to call Snow White?" I teased.

"Go ahead", he said rolling his eyes.

"Are you texting your girlfriend?" I said.

"No", Ben snapped.

"Oh, I get it. You like her but she doesn't know", I said.

Ben's cheeks blushed and he scowled at me.

"No. Now go away, stupid", he said.

"Not until you tell me who she is", I said.

"Sabrina. Now go", Ben commanded.

"I knew it. So I was right", I smugly said.

"I told you so go away", he said.

"Fine. I'll give you some privacy Mr. Grumpy", I gave up.

I cleansed myself and called Cassy when I was safely in my room.

"Hey", I said.

"What up?" she said.

"Nothing much. I was playing basketball with Jake", I said.

"Oh my god", Cassy screamed enthusiastically.

I held the phone away from my ear. Damn, that girl has a good set of lungs.

"Are you done?" I said.

"Yes. Tell me the details", Cassy ordered.

"There'a nothing to tell. It was just a friendly game of basketball. Nothing more", I said.

We talked for 2 hours. At night we said goodbye and went to sleep. At school Cassy told the rest of our friends what I had told her. I expected it. When they asked me if it was true I confirmed it. Janice and Cassy did some happy dance. They are strange. They wanted Jake and I to be a couple. It's not ever going to happen. As in never ever. They don't seem to understand that concept. When the bell rang everyone left but Jane.

"What did you want to talk about?" I asked.

"You're not falling for Jake are you?" she said troubled.

"No. We're just friends, I guess. Why?" I assured.

"Good. Yesterday, I think it was after he left you at your house, he met up with a girl from school. Terry and I were at the diner downtown and I accidentally saw Jake kissing this girl. Terry didn't get the chance to see it because he had gone to the bathroom. I just wanted to warn you", Jane said.

The honesty and clarity was in her friendly brown eyes.

"Thanks for the information but you don't have to worry", I said.

"No problem", Jane said genuinely.

I gave her a fake smile. I hope she didn't notice the falseness of it. I sat by Jake and gave him another fake smile but it seemed more painful. He seemed to not buy it. Inside I was writhing with anger. It burned into my veins and boiled my blood. I didn't like this feeling. Good thing Jane reminded me just how much of a player he is.

He's nothing but a friend. Nothing more and will never be. If I can help it I will never fall in love with him. Why should I waste my time on that? Why am I even angry? I'm not angry. I'm not jealous. I'm not anything. He is a friend after all. I'm happy for him. I'm happy he got some action. I grimaced at that thought. I'm happy. I kept chanting that sentence in my head. At the end of class Jake noticed my odd behavior.