Chapter 5

I felt a presence next to me and didn't feel like looking to see who it was. My crying started to calm down. It could be a zombie for all I care. Then, I remembered that was what my sister called them and I started crying again.
"C'mere." said the voice and knew it was Daryl. He was sitting beside me, holding out his arms. I leaned into his side, as his arms wrapped around me, perfectly.
"Are you okay?" he asked and shook his head "no".
"That was a stupid question. Of course you aren't okay." he said and for some reason, I felt like we were together, like a couple, knowing how each other feels.
"I feel so dehydrated." I said
"You did just cry a lot." he said
"I don't ever want to see you cry, not for anything." he said, staring into my eyes. He wiped a tear away and that's when I noticed how close his face was to mine. We started to lean into each other, but heard a gunshot that startled us. Then there were more after it.
We got up and made our way towards it. We stopped and saw Rick running towards us, along with...Carl?
"we have to run!" Rick shouted as he was coming closer.
"no! There's a better way." I said and looked up the tree next to me.
"are you crazy?" Rick asked me
"No. We used to do it all the time. They don't know how to climb trees properly." I said with reason and Rick was now in front of me, walkers a couple yards away.
I started climbing the tree, not caring is they were going to listen to me or not. I finally got up the tree, almost to the top. I got onto a really thick branch and looked around. I saw that they all listened to me and came up here. There was another thick branches around me. Daryl chose the one that was the closest next to me.
"Are you okay?" i asked Carl, who was below me and he just nodded his head
I looked at Daryl and realized that he was already looking at me. He nodded his head, knowing that I was going to ask if he was okay.
"Rick, are you okay?" i asked him
"Yeah. I'm fine." he said, below me with Carl.
"Are you okay?" Daryl asked me
"Um, y-yeah I'm fine." I told him. I had lots of splinters in both hands and they were very painful. Daryl gave me a look, showing that he doesn't believe me.
"it's just a couple of splinters. It isn't anything to worry about." I said with a small smile.
He scooted closer to me and took my hands, my palms facing down.
"Wow." he said under his breath.
"Hey, does anybody got some tweezers?" he asked looking down
"I brought a first aide, I'm not sure exactly what's in it." Rick said, opening his backpack up and giving Daryl a red box.
Daryl opened the box.
"perfect." he said, getting alcohol pads and tweezers out.
"I can get them out myself." I said
"C'mon I'll be gentle. Promise." he said
"Ugh, fine." I said and he smiled
"Over fifty splinters." he said in amazement after an half an hour of pulling splinters out.
"Well, I could hardly notice them being there." I said
"They looked pretty painful." he said to me and wiped the alcohol pads all over my hands
"Darnit!" I said squeezing my eyes and looking away.
"Just thought I should get it over and done with." he said, throwing the wrappers on the ground
I leaned back and looked out into the distance. My mind ran with memories of Soph and I being up here.
"Soph?" I suddenly asked, the words slipping from my mouth. A couple tears left my eyes and I just couldn't hold it back anymore.
"C'mere." a voice said next to me and I let it all out on his bare chest. After all the crying, it was dark out and I was tired and fell asleep, still on his chest.