Chapter 5

***i know nothing about police academy stuff so just forgive me and pretend i'm right for my sake :)

It’s been six months since Cas’s disappearance and I’m still going out of my mind but I can’t focus on that because today is my graduation day. I’m sitting here in this uniform in an overly hot auditorium that’s over crowded with proud loved ones and such. Sammy’s out there somewhere as are Ellen and her family. Everyone else I know or care about, is pretty much either sitting down here in these uncomfortable fold-up chairs with me or up on the stage being all prestigious. Bobby or Captain Singer as I’ll have to start calling him, is passing out the certificates as Officer Rufus calls out the names of our group. Luckily this ceremony is coming to a close as my name is called and I walk across the stage to accept my piece of paper that say I can serve my community and what not.

Bobby is a family friend and my dad was a detective on his force and so I’ve known him my whole life. He’s been like a second father to me because besides from being on the same payroll they were friends, since like elementary school or something like that. So when he gives me my papers it’s nothing for him to pull me into a tight hug. We pull away quickly though and I move so that the ceremony can come to an end. Lord knows I want this to be over so that I can go home, drink, eat, and sleep.

---

An hour later I’m home and I just suffered through a mountain of people hugging and congratulating me, none of which happened to be the person I wanted most. I sit down in the recliner with my beer when I hear the crunch of the drive way that lets me know Sammy is home from taking Jess to her house. If I’m lucky he’ll be a moody teen and just go up to his room, but knowing my luck he’ll want to talk about my future plans or something.

That’s not to say I don’t have a plan, because I do. My next step is to become detective and then find Cas. For Sammy that’s not enough, he’ll want to know what I’m planning on doing after I make detective and Cas is found (or worse, not found) and for that I have no answer. I could re-enrol at the university and continue as planned but being on the force for the rest of my life actually doesn’t sound half bad. It’s kinda what I was expected to do anyways; follow in my dad’s footsteps, which was why it was so easy for me to join the academy in the first place. It’s also the reason I’ll feel right at home, seeing a slew of my dad’s former co-workers will make it feel like old times.

“Hey.” I hear Sammy call out and pull me from my thoughts.

“Yo.” I say as he joins me in the living room and stretches across the couch, his stupid too long frame taking up its entirety.

“So...I’ve kinda got a problem,” Sam says sheepishly while looking at the TV screen like the infomercial playing is the most important piece of information he will ever receive in his life.

“Uh-oh, did your salon appointment get cancelled Samantha?” I joke trying to take his dramatics down a notch. This grants me the infamous bitch face that I’ve come to know and laugh at, which I do and only gets me another more intense bitch face. “Seriously though, Sammy, what’s up?” 

“This is going to sound like the lamest most high school infused problem ever but Jess’s friend Ruby made a pass at me,” he looks almost scared at confessing this out loud, like he’s destined for hell.

“Dude,” is pretty much all I can manage because I’m not sure what I’m supposed to say. That, and I’m not sure that I care enough about his high school drama.

“Yeah,” he said with confused look on his face and then deciding for me if I wanted hear by continuing, ”She’s horrible at history and asked me to help and ya know me thinking it was just going to be innocent tutoring I agreed. I mean I know she could have asked Jess but to me it just made sense, considering we are in the same class. But anyways we were in the kitchen, sitting at the table and I was finishing up the note cards when she tells me that she’s so grateful that I was so smart and willing to help her. And I look up to say ‘no problem’ when she kisses me.”

He looks like he doesn’t know if he should cry, vomit or be turned on. This of course throws me into a fit of insensitive laughing and earns me the bitch face to end all bitch faces.

“Dean, it’s not funny I’m really worried here. I don’t know if I should tell Jess or not and I’m not sure what to do about Ruby!” I can see that this really tearing him up but seriously it’s like something from a crappy teen movie. I stop laughing long enough to actually be the concerned person I’m supposed to be in this type of situation.

“Well, what happened when she kissed you?” The thought of Ruby mackin’ on my brother kinda makes me sick, considering I hate that slimy bitch to begin with. She’s notorious for getting into trouble both with boys and drugs, so she’s not the ideal person to be in my house, let alone being friends with Sammy or Jess.

“Okay, see that’s the part I’m ashamed of,” he confesses, ”because instead of pushing her away like I should have...somehow, and I’m not quite sure how, she ended up in my lap and we kinda...like-“

“NOPE,” I get up and start pacing, ”I DO NOT CARE ABOUT WHAT YOU MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE DONE IN OUR KITCHEN, WHERE WE EAT.”

“Hey, nothing like that!” Sam says defensively, “I may be a big enough jerk to make out with someone else but I would never cheat on Jess like that...it was mostly just some dry humping and groping that I’m not proud of,” the part of that sentence in said in such a small voice that I pretty much almost miss it.

“Sam,” is really all I can muster because he didn’t cheat but he wasn’t exactly the most faithful of boyfriends either.

“I know and I love Jess, I really do, but kissing Ruby didn’t feel wrong,” he confesses while putting his face in his hands, long having moved from stretching on the couch to sitting with his elbows on his legs.

“Not sure what to tell you other than that Ruby is pure trouble, plain and simple,” I relax back into the recliner, ”Chick’s got some serious demons.” Sam sighs and just nods his head all “yeah I know what you mean” like and we fall into a comfortable silence. That lasts all of five seconds before I complain of hunger and Sam is rolling his eyes while grabbing the phone to order take-out.

Roughly 20 minutes later Sam and I are laughing at the TV through mouthfuls of pizza. Sitting here it dawns on me how much I’ve missed just hanging out with Sammy. Between moping and being at the academy I’ve spent practically no time with him in these last few months. So I’m taking a vow, I’ll keep looking but that’s no reason to stop living, I can’t let this sadness consume me. I mean, I love Cas and I’ll find him one way or another but I can’t lose myself in it.

The ringing of the phone pulls me out of head as does Sammy rushing to get it, probably Jess, and I don’t give it another thought as I head up stairs to shower, so that I can finally call it quits for the night but I’m half way up the stairs when I notice that Sammy’s being too quiet on the phone. I walk back down them as slowly and silently as possible and stop on the last step as I hear Sammy on the other side of the wall in the kitchen.

“No, I haven’t told her,” He’s whispering and there’s a pause, ”because I’m not sure it meant anything and I’ve got a good thing going with Jess. I love her, Ruby.”

I hear a whole lot of nothing before Sammy starts to talk again.

 “Look, I know how you feel but I’m not sure I feel the same, and again to reiterate I. love. Her.” Sammy says these last words a bit louder to make a point. More silence and then, “Fine. I get it.” and then there is a slamming of our crappy corded phone and I’m rushing up the stairs and into the bathroom. 

**edited by the lovely BabyBlu3Eyes**