viii. Chances & 'Kickass Parties'

The rest of the day was spent by eating the tub of ice cream with the bread whilst watching the first three seasons of Skins on the TV at Aspen's house. The two of them were spread out along the couch in her living room, a blanket covering them.

"Do you feel like this is starting to be another good memory?" Aspen asks him. "Don't think of me as Aspen, think of me as Emery." she adds on. "Of course I'm not a redhead, but just pretend."

Meanwhile, in Ashton's mind, everything he pictured is coming true. All his 'unrealistic scenarios' that he makes up are finally coming true. Pictured in his mind, is him and Emery cuddling together while watching all the seasons of Skins on DVD whilst they pig out on Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream.

"Ashton, you there?" he focuses back on Aspen who has a blank look on her face. "Are you alright? You zoned out a bit,"

"Yeah, I'm fine." he responds. "But I think I should go now, I don't want to leave mum waiting." He hops off the couch before heading towards the front door, the only sound of the door slamming heard through the house.

"Ashton!" the pillow came into contact with his face, a small mutter came from Ashton's mouth. "Wake up man, c'mon, we have to go to school." Once more, the pillow comes into contact with his face, profanities leaving Ashton's lips this time. "Bro, c'mon. I don't want to be late."

"Since when have you been eager to go to school?" Ashton questions, his voice muffled.

"What? I'm not eager." his brother denies, his words clearly false. "Whatever, just get ready. I'll be in the car waiting. His bedroom door shuts, a loud groan coming from Ashton.

As he gets out of bed, the bright sunlight coming from his bedroom window, blinding Ashton's sight. Small mutters leave his lips as he searches through his closet, his hand scratching the back of his neck. He grabs a random shirt as well as a pair of jeans before he getting ready, his mind set in a hurry.

As usual, the school halls are crowded, everyone already formed into their little groups and cliques.

"You see Michael?" Ashton asks his brother. "It's usually easy to spot him and his crazy bright blue hair."

"He dyed it yesterday," Luke informs him as both walk down the crowded hall, in search for their friends. "he was late yesterday. Calum and I had to wait outside his doorstep for him."

"Why does he dye his hair anyway?" Ashton then asks. The two of them find Calum and Michael eventually, the bright shade of hair dye visible in the crowd. Both of them approach them, Luke letting out a sigh right before muttering something to himself.

"So much for being 'punk rock'." Luke mutters, eyeing Michael's now bright pink hair.

"Doesn't it look good?" Michael asks Luke. "Calum says it doesn't, but I think it looks badass."

"It kind of looks like a dark shade of fairy floss, eh?" Ashton inputs.

"It'll fade later on, so it'll really look like fairy floss." Michael adds. In mere seconds Aspen joins the group, her attention mostly focused on Ashton. The tension between both of them is awkward, memories from last night kept to themselves.

"Hello,"

"Hey Aspen," Michael greets. "how are you?"

"Good," she replies simply. "how's the song for the big showcase coming along?"

"It's going well, we just need to rehearse it a little bit." Calum responds, cutting Michael off. The conversation carries on a little longer before the bell interrupts them, everyone dispersing.

"Are you okay?" Luke questions Ashton as they walk to music class. "You seem a little off, and the tension between Aspen and -"

"Yeah, I'm fine." Ashton responds, cutting Luke off. "Nothing is going on between Aspen and I, I promise. Besides, you know I only have one eye for one girl,"

"Still," Luke continues. "it's always nice to keep your options open. She's kind of cute though, huh?"

"Well, I don't see Aspen like that. She's more of the 'friend type' to me." Ashton confesses.  "Why? Do you like her?"

"Nope," Luke tells Ashton. "I mean, she's cute, but I don't think I find her my type." Both boys walk through the music class doors, students around them talking, everyone in their own little 'clique'. The two of them take their usual seats, the conversation continuing. "But seriously, what is it with you and Aspen? Like, mum told me you were at her house when I got picked up yesterday." he continued. "Seriously, if there's something going on between you -"

"I swear to God there isn't." Ashton remarks, his voice raised. The classroom falls silent, all eyes and attention focused on Ashton and Luke. It takes a matter of seconds for the class to adjust before resuming their own conversations, prior to being stopped by Mr. Matthews.

"Good morning class," small mutter from around the room greet the teacher while the other students daze off, one of those students being Ashton. "as you know, our school's showcase is coming up and it isn't too late for you to sign up. Sign ups are due by the end of tomorrow so be sure to sign up by then if interested." he continues. "Since we got that over, please take out your music sheets from last class, and practice them on your instruments. Once you have practiced well enough, bring your instrument with you and meet me outside the classroom for evaluation." In a matter of seconds, the class gets up from their seats and heads towards the far west side of the classroom, where their instruments are held.

"Do you want me to get your cajon?" Luke asks his brother who nods in response. Without another question, Luke heads off where all the other students are before returning with Ashton's cajon bag as well as a provided acoustic guitar. "Dammit I forgot a guitar pick. I'll be right back." In mere moments, Luke leaves his brother before coming back with a guitar pick.

"Did you get a guitar pick?" Ashton quizzes him.

"Yeah, Valerie had a spare." he responds. He takes a seat next to his brother, Luke beginning to strum along to the given song. "How would you like to attend a party tonight?"

"Again?" he groans. "Wasn't the first one enough?"

"Aw c'mon, it'll be fun." Luke convinces.

"Who's house?" he questions.

"Michael's, his parents are out of town. Yesterday was their last day, they're up in Brisbane right now visiting family." Luke explains.

"Without Michael?"

"It only concerned his parents, so they left Michael in charge. And he's throwing this supposedly 'kickass party' tonight. I also invited Valerie, and she said she might bring Emery along with her. I think it was Emery and Diana?" he continues, interest sparking Ashton's attention. "Now, are you in?"

With a second shot at talking to her alone, hoping he'll make another good memory, Ashton tags along with his brother. Another chance given to him.