ii. Croissants & Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

The next morning, Ashton gets up a bit earlier than usual, his footsteps trailing down the stairs. He makes sure not to wake anyone up, knowing how much they crave for sleep. The blonde boy makes his way into the kitchen, picking up an apple, pen, and sticky note. Ashton bites down on the apple while scribbling down a small note for his brother and mother notifying them about his job and job hours. When he's finished writing all the needed information, he sticks it on the refrigerator, knowing one of them will find it right before leaving the house.

The small bell goes off, Michael greeting Ashton as he enters the small bakery. As Ashton walks behind the counter, Michael tosses a ball of soft fabric at him. Ashton unfolds it, revealing a dark green apron.

"Did Diana arrive yet?" Ashton asks Michael.

"Nope, she comes in a bit later due to her shift schedule." Michael informs him, a small smile growing on Ashton's face.

"You get all the flour out of your hair?" Michael questions him, memories from the previous day causing Michael to chuckle. Ashton nods his head before laughing along with him, the two boys reminiscing what happened only a day ago. "That's good, well I'm going to check on the fresh batch of bread." Michael heads to the backroom, Ashton left alone in the empty bakery. The sound of the small bell goes off in the empty bakery, the sound of footsteps only heard. When Ashton looks up, he sees the same person that causes him to go weak in the knees. His face flushes pale, words not able to process.

"Hi," he chokes out, barley audible.

"Hey, Ashton, right?" she asks. He nods slowly, trying to adjust to the new presence.

"You remembered my name," he mumbles quietly, his eyes glued to the floor.

"Of course I remembered," she says cheerfully, causing Ashton to look up in surprise. "You're in my food tech class." His face lit up, completely amazed. "So how are you doing?"

"I'm doing well, thanks." he replies, beginning to loosen up. "And you?"

"I'm doing well thank you, just running couple of errands for the family."

"Emery, hey," Ashton whirls around to see Diana walking up to the counter beside him, tying her apron on.

"Hi Diana," Emery greets, cheerfully. "you never told me you worked here."

"Yeah, well I do!" Diana confesses sheepishly. "You can leave, I can take care of her order." Diana mumbles to Ashton.

"I can take care of her order," Ashton mumbles to her through his gritted teeth. "why don't you just leave?" Ashton's eyes narrow to Diana's, clearly annoyed by her presence.

"You know what? I just forgot that I have to check on a batch of Danishes in the oven." Diana lies before walking away from the conversation. Ashton returns his focus back to Emery, her eyes gazing at all the pastries and bread before her. Ashton quickly clears his throat before continuing.

"So, what can I get you?" he quizzes her. She scrunches her nose in concentration as she eyes all the various pastries and breads available.

"Can I please have 3 croissants?" she asks him. He nods and slides the glass door, picking out three croissants before placing them in a small white box. He then hands her the box prior to receiving the money from her. She takes the box and greets him off before walking out of the small bakery.

"Happy?" Diana snickers, waltzing her way back into the room.

"Very,"