Chapter 13

Savannah POV

"James!" I knock on the door profusely. I wasn't sure why I went out of my way to his apartment, but amidst my morning walk for inspiration, I found myself here. Although all of the apartment doors looked the same, I remembered this one so vividly from that first night. I would have never imagined to find myself back here again.

"Hello!" There stood a petite woman before me with long dirty blonde hair. Her designer high wasted jeans and crop top showed her money status. She had diamond hoop earrings that dangled from her small lobe. She was beautiful and for some reason, I had to admit to being slightly jealous.

"Oh I think I got the wrong place." My face becomes tomato red as I try to remember the apartment number from that night. I was so sure it was 32A.

"Wait no don't go." She flings the door open and I see James on the couch watching TV. He notices me and gets up quickly wiping any wrinkles he might have had on his shirt. I kept my chuckles to myself, it was odd to think that he might have wanted to impress me.

"Hey Savannah. That's my friend, Katie." He gives me a promising hug and motions for me to come inside, eagerly inviting me in. James was being so nonchalant about the whole situation which made me believe that him and Katie had nothing going on, that made me feel at ease. 

"Actually, you know what I was just leaving. It was really nice meeting you Savannah. Feel free to come hang out with me anytime you see me around." She grabs her designer bag and makes her way towards the door. Her bag brushes alongside my forearm as she strolls away.  James and I were the only two in the quiet apartment now. It was weird being back here with a James that was so much nicer than once before. He seemed kind of happy to have me here. 

"So come sit." He does a half jog type of thing and pats the black leather seat next to him. He pulls out his notebook from the coffee table with a pen attached on the spirals.  "I was actually thinking about the poetry stuff and I know we haven't fully discussed it yet but I came up with something and I wanted you to hear it." 

I tried to hide my astounded expression. It was as if this guy did a full 180. Not only did his appearance look more presentable, but he seemed to be genuinely passionate about something. "Oh. Yeah okay. Show me what you got." 

A boy, only a little boy

He loves his parents

His life filled with joy

Happiness was his only friend

He never would have thought

All of that joy would come to an end

His mother left

He saw dad sigh

The tears streamed

right down his tired eyes

Broken homes

Broken hearts

Led to a world

That would quickly fall apart

"It's beautiful." My eyes trailed off into the distance. I was trying to hold back tears hoping that he wouldn't notice. The memories flooded my mind which in turn flooded my eyes with salty tears.

"Hey what's wrong." 

"Oh nothing." I couldn't face towards him. 

"You didn't like it?"

By the time I looked towards his direction, my tears were dripping down my soft cheeks slowly. They fall gently on my tight denim jeans.

"Hey hey hey." His arms wrap around my body gently. Without hesitation, I lean into him fully, letting his bulky biceps cradle me. "Savannah?"

"It was beautiful." I wipe my eyes carefully trying to not ruin the mascara I had applied this morning. "I just can't imagine a mother doing that to her son."

"Well, she did it to my brother as well." 

"A mother that gets a chance to live and be perfectly healthy and she just abandons her children?" The memories about my mother won't go away. I didn't want to open up to him, not like this anyway, but my feelings had no filter. "My mother didn't have the chance to love me but your mom just took hers for granted." 

"Wait what?" The confusion from his voice came out loud and clear. It wasn't right of me to tell him something so personal about me like this. I wipe my tears and sit myself up facing him. His eyes looked hurt watching me cry so vividly. 

"When I was four, my mother died with cancer." The words slowly left my lips. Cold and flat, just like the message. I hadn't said those words in awhile. In fact, I couldn't remember the last time I did say those words. Anyone that ever asked about my mother, I would changed the subject quickly. 

"I'm so sorry Savannah."

"I really hope your mother tries to reach out to be in your life. You don't deserve to be without your mother, especially when she's out there actually living." I reach in my small purse checking the time. I make myself stand up as I head towards the door.  "I need to go to class. We'll do more of this poetry thing later. I'm sorry about all of this."

I suck back tears trying to think about other things as I make my way away from the apartment building. I felt embarrassed and ignorant for opening up like that. It was just a poem.