Chapter 18: Taking Chances

Copyright © zylgnagnaba 2013

NIALL’s POV

The time spent with Bree at the rooftop was all worth it. Just when I thought I already know everything about her, she goes on telling me stuffs that I know I wouldn’t learn from ordinary people. Bree’s different, she’s special. And I liked her even more now. The more time I spend with her, the more I find myself wanting to be with her, all the time. She’s taking me under and I am not even complaining about it; I can no longer redeem myself from thoughts of her. Though she’s right here beside me right now in this rigid elevator to our way down, I still find myself thinking about her. I can’t help it.

I can’t help but thank God for making our paths cross at that very street here in Sydney. I thank God that we bumped into each other. It was not a typical way of encounter; I fell on her body, the impact was very drastic, her nose bled, I hurt her leg; but I thank God that happened. Or else I wouldn’t even have the chance to meet and know her more. Everything happened so fast but I am grateful with every bit of it.

She’s like my very own sunshine. I wouldn’t find any reason to get up every day if she’s not around. For now, I can’t think of anything else but her, even the fact that we are going to leave for London the next day after tomorrow to spend Christmas with our families. I just want to enjoy with her the rest of the time left. I don’t want to ruin everything. We’re having so much fun.

I gaze at her beautiful face, my eyes are starting to shut down but I can’t take my sight off of her. I’m scared if I slip away, I wouldn’t see her anymore. She answers me with one smile, and looks down to the floor of the lift without wearing it off. I am happy that she’s here right beside me.

BAM!

A loud sound bellows outside the elevator above us. We stumble with the little quake inside the box, causing us seek support for our feet on the wall, before we realize that the lift stops moving and the light inside starts to flicker for seconds. A worried stare from Bree makes me want to grab her hands and pull her towards me but the lift completely darkens all of sudden, making her invisible in my sight. What the heck is happening?

“Bree?” I call her, eager to hold her hand. Then a childhood memory starts to unfold before my eyes; my big brother, locking me inside a dark room. I was crying, shouting and dying to escape that very creepy place.

My knees are now shaking as well as my hand and my chest starts to pound. Tears are starting to form in my eyes and threatening to sting me. A lump is starting to form in my throat as the memory revolves around my head again and again. I feel my own hand rub my temple as I shake my head in frustration.

Suddenly, I feel another hand, soft and comforting, grabbing my arm. It’s Bree. She slides both her hands to my fingers, both covering my one hand. I couldn’t see her; I can only feel her warm body against my side. I lean down to her, my tears finally escape my eyes.

“Let’s sit for a little while?” She suggests softly and waits for my affirmation. I make her feel my nod and we both slide down the wall and sit on the floor.

She keeps my hand protected by her two hands, the one under with fingers interlocked with mine; the other over my hand rubs my arm gently. Her touch finally made my fears creep away. She leans her head on my shoulder and so did I on her head.

“It’s okay to be scared once in a while.” She whispers. “It means that you’re still normal.”

“But I don’t want to be scared anymore.” I say, my voice cracking up.

“Shhhh.” She shush me up softly and continues to rub my arm, it is really comforting. “I’m here, Niall. I’m here.”

The lift is still dark, we can’t hear a sound.  I only hear a voice inside my head wishing that we could stay like this forever. Even if we can’t get out of here, I don’t mind as long as she holds my hand, I won’t be scared anymore. Her touch is the only medicine I was looking for Claustrophobia all along. Where is she my whole life?