Chapter 1: The Sweetest Surprise

Copyright © zylgnagnaba 2013

DECEMBER, 2012

Summer in Australia

Bree's POV

Yesterday was a very significant day of my life, my graduation day. From the beginning of the day, I can tell from my father's face that he was so proud of me. Finally, I'm going to receive my diploma. I know he was more thrilled than I was. As I climbed up the stairs on my way to the well-decorated stage, I was looking at him from afar with the other proud parents. He was smiling back at me, rubbing his two hands together. Though he was too far, I can tell that he was tearing up. His eyes were shining together with the lights up the ceiling of the stadium we were in.

As we headed home, while inside the car, he handed me over a red gift bag with a yellow ribbon attached to it. I was delighted with the sight but at the same time clueless of what it's contained with.

"Open it!" Dad said with a smirk on his face.

I responded with a nod, gradually opening the cute bag. "What's this, a new phone? Dad, you shouldn't have to."

"Open it for you to find out. That's way more valuable than a phone, honey."

I was really puzzled with his response so instead of opening the bag slowly, I opened it like a kid, excitedly and eager to see what's inside. Then my hand reached a white box, probably the size of the jewellery box my mom once owned when I was little. I faced dad curiously in the process.

"Open it! C'mon. I'm excited for you to see what I got you for your graduation."

I complied and found out that it was a brand new camera. A Canon, the brand of camera I have always wanted since I saw one at the mall with my friends but never got the chance to buy it because of being too costly. Yes, I remember telling Dad about the camera. I thought I'd have it when I finally get a job but Yay! I had it sooner than planned. Thanks Dad!

I was startled with the sight which caused me to gasp for air before I could finally speak.

"Oh my God! Geez Dad! Where did you get this?" I squealed and put my seatbelt off and hugged him.

"The night you told me about that camera you've always wanted, while you're in school, I took the chance to go to the mall and look for it. I remembered that you're about to graduate, so I reserved one at the store. I couldn't buy it right away 'cause you might find it ahead of your graduation so I picked it up yesterday."

"Oh Dad, this is really amazing. Thank you!"

"Where do you want to go this summer, Bree?" Dad asked.

I just stared at him blankly. Leaving his question unanswered.

I have the slightest idea what he was talking about. We've spent all summer vacations in the past eight years only in Woodford, with relatives or with friends. Since Mom died, Dad has lost appetite of taking vacation far from home because it would only bring back old memories making him lonelier. But this is something new. Is there something going on with him?

"Bree, I know since your mom died, we haven't been out of Brisbane for a while." Dad broke my train of thoughts. "So, I guess this is now the most perfect time for you to break free, go places. You're 21 and I shouldn't keep you from discovering things besides Brisbane just because I am still mourning about your mom's passing away. That was so long ago and I know your mom is going to be happy to see you enjoying your youth."

"So?" I asked him with a smile, assuming we're going on a vacation. Yes, finally! This is what I have always wanted to do. But the whole time, I'm still looking after my Dad's sake. If I ask him, I know he wouldn't. This went on for eight years but finally…

"I'm giving you the permission to go anywhere you want."

What? It wasn't the answer I was expecting from him. I was expecting we could go together anywhere. But hey, on the brighter side, it's also an opportunity for me to go places independently. Enjoy myself before getting more serious with life as I have to go find a job soon.

***********

The Next Day . . .

My digital clock beeps. I reach for it and check the time. It's already eight in the morning. I got the feeling of getting up but a slight force is pulling me back to the bed. I surrendered and close my eyes again for about 15 seconds. Then snap! Oh my, I'm leaving today for Sydney at 3 in the afternoon and I still have to pack my suitcase. I get up immediately, search for my slippers on the floor while rubbing my eyes with my two hands. I stand up, and went stretching. I walk to open the window with wobbling feet, as if I was drunk. As I open my glass window, a slight glare from the sun strikes my face. Out of my window is a tree about 5 meters away, blocking the sight of the empty road. I can hear the birds chirping and the leaves whispering to each other as the wind blows in alternate motion.  I can sense the coolness and smell of the vibrant fresh air from the outside. It's a great day Australia!

******

HALERIE appearance starts on Chapter 23.

But if you want to understand the whole story, continue reading.

Thank you.