Chapter 7: Mistletoe

A few months later...

The sunlight from my window shone into my eyes and woke me from a very deep sleep. I yawned and glared at the window annoyedly but then realised as I peered out at the snow covering the ground that it was Christmas.

I quickly threw on some clothes and rushed out of the room, Baxter at my heel wagging his tail as though sensing my excitement. I carried on running till I reached Kaito's room and slammed the door open dramatically.

"Kaito!" I yelled as I dived onto his bed and on top of him, instantly waking him up. He grumbled as I'd accidentally on purpose landed on him. Oops.

"It's Christmas Day!"

He sat up, pushing me lightly. He tried to give me an angry look but failed.

Over the past couple of months, Kaito and I had become very close, as you could probably tell. We'd occasionally enter one another's rooms to just sit and talk into the night. It was comforting to know I could rely on him to tell things to.

One thing I'd never tell him though, is how I felt numb sometimes. How I would just lie awake for hours, wanting to cry but couldn't. Maybe I'd tell him someday.

"Lets go downstairs, the others are probably waiting." I said and pulled on his arm lightly to coax him out.

"Alright I guess."

Baxter had already gone down without us and when we got there, he was wearing a cute red ribbon around his neck. I cooed at him and he walked off, not wanting to hear about it, which everyone laughed at.

We gathered around in the lounge, where the old Christmas tree was set up and a few gifts were sat underneath. It was hard to get the presents as there were no shops anymore but everyone got a present from each person it seemed.

I started to open mine, grateful I could spend my Christmas with these amazing people. Akio had got me a new outfit which was a purple jumper with black leggings and boots. I thanked him and he smiled, relieved I'd liked it.

I then moved on to Ryo's gift which was a few CD's of some popular music from before.

"I set up a player in your room that you can use." He told me as I opened it.

"Thanks Ryo, that's really thoughtful."

And last was Kaito's gift. He watched silently as I opened it to find a small, expensive looking box. I pulled it open to reveal a brand new necklace with a beautiful silver love heart on the chain.

"Kaito... I-it's beautiful."

"I was originally going to be my sister's." He explained quietly. "I never got to give it to her."

"It was nice of you but I can't take this. This is the last thing you had of your sister's after all."

"Please," he said, "take it."

I nodded and things went back to normal as everyone opened their presents. I'd taken care in getting everyone what I'd think they'd like. They seemed to be really happy with what they got.

I had gotten Kaito a new scarf. It was another light grey one but it was different to his others and I knew he'd like it since he loved scarves. I also had another gift for him but I wanted to give it to him later on in private.

"Time for dinner!" Akio announced later on while Kaito, Ryo and I were playing outside in the snow with Baxter. Kaito was wearing his new scarf of course.

We hurried in and sat at the table, waiting for Akio to bring in the food. He did and we all tucked in, chattering merrily to one another as we did so.

Beside the table, Baxter had a bowl full of turkey that he was thoroughly enjoying.

After the meal, Akio was in the kitchen washing up, which left me and Kaito on our own as Ryo had disappeared somewhere.

"Hey." Kaito said. "Look what I found."

I turned around and saw he had mistletoe, which he raised above our heads. He then raised his eyebrows and I smiled, leaning forwards. Our lips met and I closed my eyes, feeling such love and happiness for that short moment. The kiss was gentle and broke off quickly, but when it did, Kaito looked the happiest I'd ever seen him.

"Come to my room. I have something for you." I told him, walking off upstairs, Kaito following closely.

He shut the door behind us and I quickly ran to my desk and took something from in the draw.

I walked back over to him and shyly gave him his present. I then gestured for him to open it once we'd sat down on the bed.

He looked from me, back down to the gift and finally opened it. He smiled down at it. I'd replaced the photo of my family with a photo of me and him that we'd taken a few weeks before.

In the photo, my arm was around his shoulder, my face in a bright smile. He was wearing a scarf and was attempting to hide his face in it whilst trying to act grumpy but still had a small half smile that I thought was extremely adorable.

"Haru, this is one of the best presents I've got." He smirked, "except my scarf of course."

"Nothing could beat your scarf." I added in knowingly. "Sure you like it?"

"I love it."

For the rest of the evening we just sat there and spoke. Sometimes about the past, or sometimes about the future.

"To be honest, this is probably one of the happiest Christmases I've had, even though there's the apocalypse." I told him.

"Same here, but why you?"

"Well," I sighed, "it may sound stupid but my parents never really understood me or cared about what I thought. At Christmas, I was usually alone for most of the time."

"I'll always be with you so you don't have to spend a Christmas alone ever again." He gave me a small smile and I hugged him quickly.

"Thank you for everything Kaito." I sighed tiredly into his shoulder but he didn't seem to mind.

A/N
I know it's a short chapter but I've been with family and friends all day today so I just managed to finish the chapter for you all.

Merry Christmas <3