~Chapter 8: Irony~

I screamed and virtually broke the door when I slammed it open to get other side, crawling fast on my hands and knees. The kids that were in there heard me and promptly ran over, one getting there quickly, the other hobbling down the stairs in a rush. Once they were both behind me, we all just stared at the dead body.

Knife still jabbed into his chest, maggots eating at his rotting skin, eye sockets empty and black. All three of us tried holding in vomit. The other two didn't even bother to ask me anything, all of us too disgusted to say anything. I quickly grabbed some of my stuff, like my backpack, sleeping bag and the book, then ran like hell out of that place. Not long after I was running, I heard footsteps behind me. I glanced over my shoulder, the hood of my jacket almost blocking my view of the kid following me. I gulped and picked up my pace, but he caught up to me somehow.

"Wait, stop!" he called out to me, but I didn't oblige. I kept running. Running like f-ing hell. But for some reason, the idiot kept running after me. And also, somehow, "I said stop!" he grabbed my shoulder and violently jerked it back making me lose my balance and fall down.

My back hit the ground hard with a thud and I held my head up so it didn't crash to ground and black me out, even if only for a few seconds.

"Ow, frigging asshole! What the hell?!" I looked up to the kid who pulled me down. He glared at me with deadly eyes—

That don't affect me in any way. Why do people really think that death glare is affective to people who have lived on the streets since they were little and have probably crawled through pits of their worst nightmares?

Yeah—living on the streets is that bad.

Quickly I stood up and pushed the guy out of the way, continuing to run. It started to rain, making the grass slippery and the gravel muddy. I almost slipped a few times but kept my balance. I found another empty house and quickly broke the boards that were nailed to the front door. As soon as I was inside, I leaned my back against the wall and slid down it, sitting down and stuffing my face into my knees.

I breathed heavily. Puffs of steam formed in the air when I did so, it was so cold. To be honest, right now I was kind of scared. There's no saying that kid couldn't have called someone and the police would be here any second to arrest me. Then I would never be able to get Leo back, and who knows what Karma was doing to her at the moment?

I could only pray that they weren't hurting her...

But with my past, what good will praying do anyway?

Heh. Karma.