~Chapter 12: Knocking on Death's Door~

I don't know if it was by command of Death or whatever, if he even has powers like that, or if it was sheer dumb luck, but the Luck family decided to go out the next day. They dragged me out too, which was fine. We were going to be near the Y'oll Diablo Tavern and I needed to speak with Death. I didn't want to. Believe me, if there was a way to contact him and make a deal without having to see his face I would have done that, but even in a huge mansion, I'm still a street rat. My resources are certainly limited.

I let some of my curly hair dangle in my face as I disinterestedly twiddle my thumbs and stared at the ground. We were around people at the moment and I did not want to show any damn emotions. I almost wanted people to think I was a robot... But then again they might stare at me more than they already were if I was.

Note to you readers out there: If you hate people staring at you, and you have a vibrant colour of hair in a time when coloured hair is extremely rare, never go outside.

Ever.

I set aside my hatred for this situation and kept an eye on my surroundings to find Y'oll Diablo and get this over with. Then I started to notice a lot of the people. They didn't interest me as much as they disgusted me but they made me think. All of them looked rich, in fancy clothes and servants carrying their shopping items. Shiny cars speeding about, faces full of makeup, eating proper food. It made me jealous and upset, thinking about them living like this when there were people like me starving on the streets and suffering.

There were people off in the war, fighting for whatever they were trying to achieve. Who knew anymore, it was all just senseless fighting but there was no way to stop it. The only reasons the war wasn't really getting to us is because as a city growing larger and larger by day, we haven't done anything to piss anyone off (despite the fact this was the city where the man in charge at the time started the war.) That, and the huge ass wall they built around this place. Some like it because it protects, I personally believe it's a cage but there's nothing I can do.

I'm glad I snapped out of my heavy subject thinking to notice the old, almost falling apart building with a large frayed and sun bleached sign that read "Y'oll Diablo Tavern". My eyes widened and stopped in my tracks. Some people were mad and bumped me with their shoulders so I would keep moving along, but I just stood there like a safety cone and waited for them to walk around me.

Oliver noticed I was no longer at his sort of side (I tried keeping my distance) and looked back to find me staring endlessly at the tavern. He pushed past rushing people on the crowded street and poked my arm two times, then swiped his hand in front of my face. "Nikki? Earth to Nikki, come in Nikki?" He chuckled lightly and I met his gaze.

"I'm gonna go in there." I stated, pointing to the tavern with my not-so-elegant pointer finger. One of his eyebrows arched, the other furrowed as to pantomime to me that he didn't understand a) how I was going to get in, and b) why I needed to be there. "Trust me on this, and don't follow me."

"Believe me, you don't have to tell me twice." He put his hands up in defence and looked away as to say he didn't want to get caught up in all my BS. "Meet me by the fountain we passed earlier when you're done so we don't lose you for good, okay?"

I mumbled something under my breath before stepping forward and heading to the tavern. I can't remember what I mumbled exactly, something simple like "Whatever you say" or maybe it might have been something like "You'll probably be losing me soon anyway." No matter what I said, Oliver looked confused on the matter but caught up with his parents and told them some type of excuse.

I reached the entrance to Y'oll Diablo and tried pulling on the door handle. It didn't budge, so I went around to the back to see if there was an opening somewhere for me to get in. I saw a large open window, big enough to fit and average person. And considering the fact that before yesterday, I hadn't had a full meal for almost a week, I easily slipped through.