♗ | love

When they arrived, Devin was sitting up on her knees, leaning over so her hands and wrists weren't visible. What was visible, though, was her shaking. Vinny was sat off to the side, picking at dead grass.

"Ange, stay over with Vinny. If your breathing gets difficult, Ricky can help." Chris said with a wave of his hand before rushing over to Devin and crouching down with her. "Can I see your hands?" He questioned, glancing over to make sure that Angelo had Vinny distracted somehow- even though it would be unintentional on dear Angelo's part.

The older witch knew better than the teen.

With her back to Vinny, Devin moved her arms out a bit so Chris could see. There would have been hope if not for the nails driven through her wrists, blood keeping them well hidden from the view of someone like Vinny who would have been too panicked to focus on injuries, rather worrying instead about future safety.

"I'm sorry." Chris said lowly. Devin's nose twitched, and she closed her eyes for a moment. There had been so much blood. "Don't worry about it, just make this look like you tried to help. Don't let Vinny see- it'll ruin him, Chris," She spoke in a hushed tone. "Please help me.."

Pursing his lips for a moment, Chris peered over at his Angelo, who was talking to Vinny about something. Ricky had his hands on Ange's shoulders, so Chris figured his breathing had gone downhill.

"How'd it happen?" Chris asked quietly, swiftly removing the nails and melting them between his palms. Devin winced. "There were too many for just the two of us. I should have just agreed, but I didn't, obviously.. Vinny was trying to reason with them when the fighting started, and they.. they got me, as you can see.." She paused, stealing a glance at Vinny before turning back to Chris.

Sadly, she spoke again. "I can't live like this, Chris. Vinny's my familiar- he'll forget me if I keep going- he can't help that.." She said softly. "Just end it.. Please..? Let him say his goodbyes or what have you, but don't let him suffer. I don't care what it takes. Make him forget I ever existed- take him somewhere safe.. You know what'll happen if you don't."

It was true, Chris did know what would inevitably happen. If Devin lived, Vinny would forget her in due time. If she died, Vinny would- much like normal dogs with unbreakable bonds to their owners would,- grow depressed. He'd stop eating, drinking.. He'd just stop functioning; he'd stay with Devin's corpse until he himself was one. Chris couldn't let that happen.

"Right.." He muttered, taking Devin's hands in his own. "I'll make this as quick and painless as I possibly can," He muttered.

"It'll be okay," Angelo said softly, frowning. Vinny was a shaking mess at that point. "But what if it's not? What if-" He froze up. Like a reflex, he glanced over at Devin and squeaked. "N-No, no-" He blurted, stumbling over. "Dev? Devin?" He whimpered.

On her last few breaths by then, Devin opened her eyes to get one more look at her dearest Vinny. Tears had welled up in his green eyes, and he really did look like a puppy for a moment. "Don't be sad.." She said softly, closing her eyes and managing a tiny smile. "I love you.." She admitted one last time before she drew her final breath, leaving Vinny frozen in place, wide eyed and sad.

"I'm sorry.." Chris said quietly as he stood up slowly. Devin's blood was on his hands, but nothing mattered right then. Nothing.

Vinny didn't say a word. Minutes past. Five turned to ten, ten to fifteen and fifteen to twenty; the familiar didn't budge for a very long time- and no one said anything,- until slowly, he looked up at Chris, tears streaming down his cheeks, which had gone pale. "Why'd it have to be her..?"

-

Angelo sat beside Ricky and Ryan on the park bench, right where Chris had insisted they stay whilst he walked off with Vinny.

Ricky and Ryan knew what was happening, but Angelo, silent and rather sad, was oblivious. None of them spoke a word, and when it started raining, Angelo glanced up at the sky very briefly before ducking his head again, his hair like a curtain over his face.

It hadn't been a good day, not for anyone.