Chapter 8: The Dream

"Anak, you're home...," Mozzy said, giving his son a hug. She is working with laptop on their coffee table, which seems to be occupied with all her stuff. Kiefer opened his arms, and kissed his mother on her temple.

Mozzy looked at him and felt his forehead, "Are you okay?"

He couldn't look at her, "I'm okay, Ma."

Just then, Dani arrived and they could hear her from the driveway, "I'm home, fam! The princess is home!"

As soon as Dani stepped inside the house, she saw Kiefer and was also surprised, "Kuya... oh. Kumusta ka naman?" She daintily walked over him to give him a hug and kiss. "May nakain kang masama or what? You look too flushed... di ka naman amoy chico," she added, smelling his shirt.

Kiefer shrugged off Dani's hold on him and said, "Tigilan mo ako, Danielle. I'm tired."

Dani and her mom exchanged knowing glances. Dani walked towards her mom and gave her a big long hug. "Something's bothering him," her mom whispered. Dani nodded and followed her brother to his room.

She slowly knocked before entering. It was a bit dark, with only the bedside lamp open. She sat on the edge of the bed, looking at Kiefer rearrange stuff out from his bag.

"What is it this time, Dans...," Kiefer was busy pulling out clothes from his bag. He proceeded to put them on the hamper in his bathroom.

When he got back, he saw Dani standing beside his bedside table, looking at the picture frame on it. "When did you remove Ate Melissa's picture?"

Kiefer did not pause to answer her. He went on trying to clean his bag out, until there was nothing in it. He started removing his top shirt and went inside his bathroom. He could hear Dani moving around his room, until she could hear her footsteps moving out of the room.

He just let the cold water splash on him, willing it to numb his thoughts. He leaned on the tiled walls, with the palm of his hands flat on it. He wished the gushing of water would drown out his thoughts.

He has been visiting Alyssa in her room, pre-dawn. And this time, his routine has changed: after brewing coffee, he would take a cup and stay in Alyssa's room, watching her sleep. And he couldn't take his eyes off her: each dent on the bed, each curve of her body, the way her hair caresses the sheets... all imbedded in his mind.

And he is so much tempted to jump in and ravish her, so hungry for her... yet something is stopping him, like an invisible hand is holding him back.

Is this all lust?

He fisted his hand and softly hit the wall. He could not seem to understand himself, how he is drawn towards her, like a moth to a flame... he couldn't understand the attraction. He usually loves them curvy, and fair-skinned. He likes the contrast of their white skin on his dark one...

But Alyssa...

All it took was one smile, and he has been having vision of ravishing her.

It has to stop. Kiefer, this has to stop, he thought to himself. He only loved one person, Melissa. Melissa, the only girl who made his heart beat. Melissa, the girl who made him believe in love. Melissa, who broke his heart, yet she who makes him hope for another chance with him.

But Melissa is married, and he still is reeling on the pain of losing his one true love.

He leaned his forehead on the cold tiles, and closed his eyes. He can never be attracted to Alyssa. He will be disloyal to the memory of Melissa...

+ + + + +

"Kuya," Thirdy greeted him. He was outside, with a bottle of beer on hand, watching the silhouette of the trees sway and kiss the air. He turned around and acknowledged Thirdy with a fistbump.