Chapter 40 : Almost... But Not Quite

"BEEEESSSHHHH!"

Ella barged into Alyssa's unit, Jovee in tow. Alyssa was in the kitchen, scrubbing the tiles clean. She looked up and wiped her hands dry.

Ella was trying to balance paper bags and some grocery bags on her arms, with Jovee bringing in more stuff and flowers. "Ells, ano 'yan?"

Ella dropped the items on her dining table and started to open the takeout food. "Bakit ka pala nakatayo? Di ba sabi mo may sakit ka? Bakit di ka na nagpa-ospital?"

"Bes, feeling mo papayagan tayo pumasok ng ER dala lahat 'to?" Jovee rolled his eyes, helping Ella take out the stuff from the bags.

Ella went over to Alyssa to feel her forehead, while Alyssa tried to avoid her hand. Ella's brow furrowed, "Sinat lang naman, Bes." She also felt her forehead and neck, "Sinat lang, Bes." She grabbed Alyssa and made her sit with her on the couch, "Alyssa, anong nararamdaman mo?"

Confusion was evident on Alyssa's face, "Anong meron, Ells? Ba't ka taranta?"

Ella was taken aback, surprised, "Bes? Kahit na mapilayan ka at naka-dextrose, hinding-hindi ka magsi-skip ng training. Ever. Wala akong maalala. So ibig sabihin, may malala kang nararamdaman."

"OA ka lang, Ells! Nag-aabsent naman ako pag tinatrangkaso ako, o di kaya menstrual cramps!" she laughed.

"Oo nga naman, Bes... may times din pala na di nakapagtraining si Ly... " Jovee said from the dining area, still putting away the groceries on Alyssa's pantry.

Ella was eyeing her skeptically, "Ang totoo, Bes?"

Alyssa sighed. She's not getting any peace with Ella's nose on the trail. "Masakit talaga pangangatawan ko. Para ngang tatrangkasuhin..."

Jovee was done in the dining area, and approached them, bringing the flowers, "Madam, may pa-flowers pa kami. Flores de Mayo. Ganurn..."

Alyssa laughed, stood up, then felt that pain in her core, but tried to hide it with a smile, "Thanks-"

Kiefer opened the door, excited to see Alyssa that he went straight away to her unit after his practice. He was unhappily surprised to see Jovee with flowers.

"Utang na loob!" Jovee looked up to see him on the doorway, and shoved the flowers to Alyssa and stepped back on the wall. "Pakana 'yan ni Ella! Wala akong kinalaman diyan!"

Ella and Alyssa just stared at Kiefer, then Jovee, then back to Kiefer.

"Ella, ipagtanggol mo ako! Aminin mo na idea mo yung bulaklak-"

"Ikaw naman nagbayad...," Ella said softly, as if in a trance.

Jovee backed farther away, "Sige, ilaglag mo pa ako, Jorella! I will un-bes you!"

Kiefer just stood rooted on the ground, not sure how he is going to take all of this. "Sorry, mamaya na lang ulit-"

"Dito ka na magdinner," Ella blurted, "Marami kaming dalang food."

"Jorella! Tandaan mo ang kabaitan na pinakita ko sa 'yo sa mga panahon na wala kang makapitan!"

Ella shushed him, and Alyssa could not believe what is happening, "Guys, okay lang kayo?" She turned to Kiefer, "Kief, you can stay kung di ka pa pagod."

Kiefer glanced at Ella who was studying him covertly, and to Jovee, whose hands are raised in a cross, "Your friends are here. I can drop by anytime naman e. Sige." He turned and walked back to where he came from.

Jovee ran to grab Ella by the hair, but missed, since Ella ran towards Alyssa and grabbed her by the arm, "Bes, may nangyayari na ba sa inyo ni Kiefer?"